Lately I've been seeing a lot of new players asking "what should I practice to build finger stregenth/dextarity/speed", so I figured I'd make a thread where people can post their favorite finger exercise. That way all the new players out there can get a good range of opinions.

I'll start it off. This is a pretty basic arpeggio sequence that starts on Gmaj, and steps to Gmaj7, G7, and finally a G6. The last note of each arpeggio should be treated as the first note of the next one in the sequence, so they all flow together.
I is for index, M for middle, R for ring, and P for pinky.

Gmaj:
E:-------------------------
B:-------------------------
G:------------0------------
D:-------------------------
A:-----2--5-----5--2-----
e:--3-------------------3-

----M--I--P-----P--I--M-

Gmaj7
G:-------------------------
D:------------4------------

-----M-I--P--R--P--I--M-

G7:
D:------------3------------

-----M-I--P--M--P--I--M-

G6:
D:------------2------------

-----M-I--P--I--P---I--M-

I do this sequence as often as possible, both as a warmup and for extended periods as an exercise.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 21, 2007,
looks like a good one, i usually don't stick to particular excercises, i tend to just let my mind do what it wants anywhere on the fretboard.

I may have to try this
Haha you've probably seen me post this one up a few times then:

-----------------------------------------------------------------1-4-2-3---------------
-----------------------------------------------------1-4-2-3---------------------------
----------------------------------------1-4-2-3----------------------------------------
---------------------------1-4-2-3-----------------------------------------------------
---------------1-4-2-3-----------------------------------------------------------------
---1-4-2-3-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: My favroite picking exercies are: the intro to Over My Head from Sum 41 and the intro to Tears Don't Fall from Bullet For My Valentine. Both are relatively fast-paced when it comes to alternate picking between two strings, so they are pretty helpful IMO.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Last edited by philipp122 at Oct 20, 2007,
-----------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------
-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------
----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
---------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------
---------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------
---1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
fear of the dark would be a good one here is the tab for it though

EDIT-wrong url :p

heres the right one
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron_maiden/fear_of_the_dark_tab.htm
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Last edited by punk_metal2007 at Oct 21, 2007,
I learnt this one from my tutor.... It's called the spider technique or something. Atleast that's what he used to call it

-0-1-2-3-----------------------

Yeah, i know it's for total noobies.... But, it helps.

Ofcourse, i also do this one....

-----------------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------
-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------
----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------
---------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------
---------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------
---1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------