Ok, I had no idea distortion pedals could have tubes built into them. Is it just like amps? Is a tube distortion pedal usually better then solid state ones? Also, I like old school thrash and death metal and was wondering what a good TUBE distortion pedal would be for me (right now I'm using a Boss MT-2). I have a solid state Randall RX120DHS and an esp m-400. Thanks all.
there's one that Mesa makes...but umm, I believe it costs almost as much as your amp itself so it would be kind of a waste.
I would say it wouldn't be much different than having a hybrid amp. May make the Randall a little "smoother" but I'm not sure it would be that much better than any other analog pedal, especially considering the prices. Like said it costs as much as a small tube combo.
I'm going for a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Pedal:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=SEY%20SFX03&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000SEY%20SFX03

I'm into Classic Rock and this baby sngs but not sure you'd want it for Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvJe-YCg-Y
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Its not ridiculous...

If you're a tone junkie, most of your effects will be analog. There are several overdrive pedal companies like SWELL that make tube distortion and overdrive: in my opinion, they way it SHOULD be. Good old analog drive. Digital only goes so far without sounding computerized.

Looking at your rig, its not really smart to look into one of them. They are really for more like blues and stuff- adding balls to your cleans. The whole point of a tube overdrive is to boost a TUBE amp. It would be pointless to run the analog line into a solid state.

Another thing about analog overdrive systems is they generally don't add their own characteristics to your tone, unlike alot of digital pedals, that add their own signature style to your sound. Its only for you if you know your amp+guitar's sweet spot and need that extra punch that analog OD supplies.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Oct 20, 2007,
Electro Harmonix makes several pedals with tubes in them, the Memory Man being one of them. They also make this one called the English Muff'n, and it sounds awesome.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!