I just wanted to post a thread about my feelings towards the statement "Real bass players use their fingers" and see what other people think. This is more for bassists who believe this statement to be true but is open for anyone to say what they feel.
I just dont get why this statement exists - music is about expression and the freedom to do whatever you want and play however you want. Theres nothing worse than someone who follows typical beliefs about things - why oh why does it make you a "real" bassist if you use your fingers? Why must bass playing be limited to this technique? Some people love the attack of pick playing - not everyone wants the tone and sound it makes. I just dont understand the thinking behind this belief.
I'll use any method that falls to hand. Two fingers, three, four, clawhammer, thumb, slap, plectrum, bow, pint glass, midgets, small trees...it's all expression. So the only really appropriate response to any f***er who makes that statement is...
There you go!
it's a pride thing. a sort of elitism, if you will. people who are saying it jokingly are fine, but if they're taking it totally seriously, then don't bother with them, they're not worth your time.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
THis thread won't end well...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by sexlove45
i prefer the sound you get with a bass when you use a pick but tahts just me

OMG PHAIL!!!1!!111!!!

I'm joking in case you didn't know
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
OMG PHAIL!!!1!!111!!!

I'm joking in case you didn't know

OMG!!!!!!ZORZ!!!!!

I see what you did there!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It all depends on the song for me - its like choosing what type of pickups on a guitar in a strange way. I play both and if i was to play a punk song id play with a plec if i was playing some jazz or blues id go with my fingers
Meh i dont care if this thread doesnt end up well - i just hate when i mention to people i play bass and they dont care and that bassists are (99% of the time)never mentioned or last to be mentioned in music - i believe bass playing should be done however you want - **** stereotypes. Bass is an amazing instrument and should be recognized but unless idiots who believe in being a cliched bassist stop then we'll never be seen.
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.

Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
A real bassist is a master in all techniques and uses their specified technique for its sound!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.

exactly. the right tool, for the job. fingers, plectrum, and bow. knowing which tool is right for the job, is a bass player. anyone saying otherwise, doesn't understand the dynamics of music.
Quote by JoeyDengler
wow i am shocked we have no Pro statement believers....is this just the calm before the storm?

Nope, it's because:
Quote by -February-Star-

Check it out, I quoted myself.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
I joke around that pick users are noobs but both techniques get a different sound and allow different playing styles.......I mostly use fingers but I'll use a pick just to keep myself comfortable using one on bass....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by JoeyDengler
wow i am shocked we have no Pro statement believers....is this just the calm before the storm?

just because you believe it, doesn't make it right.
it is best to remain quiet, and perceived a fool, than to open ones mouth, and remove all doubt.
there's something about the grooviness of fingerstyle--not nescessarily the tone, just the appearance.

It seems more hardcore.
I think the statement comes from that most guitarists who has swapped to bass sticks to using a pick, while 'real' bassists learns to do it ith they're fingers...
A real bass player backs down to his master, the guitarist.

Just playin
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

I used to be all "picks are the fail" and such.

Then I grew up..

There are some things you cant do with you fingers..I mean look at the dude from Tool. + its allways fun to thrash around with pick..Yay..
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
It would be awesome if here at UG we had some kind of magic filter that stops people from making the same threads that have been made over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And over.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by garrett5
Real bassists play with their weiners.

corny, but funny nonetheless
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Lobsterdeth
It would be awesome if here at UG we had some kind of magic filter that stops people from making the same threads that have been made over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

And over.

Ah but we would lose that wonderful sense of deja vu...all over again....

Just as I wouldn't hammer a nail with wrench, I wouldn't play surf rock ala Dick Dale without a pick and funk with anything but the ol' digits. Its what tool fits the purpose and what your style dictates.
Quote by -February-Star-

That is going to be sigged.
Quote by -February-Star-