Hey guys, this was a 60th anniversary Strat with an alder body and a rosewood neck('the burst was ugly tho'). The pickups were SSS. But they looked a little different, each of the medal pieces were at different heights above or below the pickup. It was not used and they were factory pickups. It had an amazing sound so I was wondering if based off of those specifications if I can recreate the tone I was hearing. Is it the Alder body and the rosewood neck that did it? Obviously the pickups were part of that too. I like G&L legacy's better, so what can I do about that? My n00b is showing, sorry.

Thank you
Its called custom staggered pickups. Most high end strats have it. They are each individually raised to match the strings they are below.

The reason it was so nice sounding is the pickups. The vintage pickups in that guitar are real smooth. My strat has tex mex rough pickups, an alder body and rosewood fretboard too, but my guitar can get pretty rough.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
The rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, bolt-on neck joint, alder body, single coil Fender pickups, scale length, pots, strings, tremolo, capacitor, and to a degree finish and tuners all made little differences to the tone. Not to mention the amp and cable you played the thing through .
Well I played it through my amp and a monster cable.

But seriously how big of a deal is the rosewood and the alder body.

Thank you for your help slinkyblue!

Can I get a G&L with staggered pickups?
The alder body makes the higher frequencies more prevalent in the tone, giving the sound a brighter quality than mahogany; and the rosewood fingerboard is warmer than a snappy maple one.
Quote by DAaaMan64
Well I played it through my amp and a monster cable.

But seriously how big of a deal is the rosewood and the alder body.

Thank you for your help slinkyblue!

Rosewood vs Maple isn't a super huge difference in tone. For me, Rosewood tends to be a bit better at gripping the strings because it's rougher, but maple is easier to do bends and finger vibrato. Maple also seems to have a much more mellow tone up high in the fretboard. Thats all my opinion though, i'm sure some people will disagree.

As for the alder, nearly all classic or high end strats are alder, its very common. I don't know much about the wood but I know it gets the job done for me =)
-Jim Morrison
Alright cool, I am gonna call my G&L dealer and see if I can get one with staggered pickups
Quote by DAaaMan64
Alright cool, I am gonna call my G&L dealer and see if I can get one with staggered pickups

Well, now don't just say that. The guitar you were playing had Vintage Noiseless pickups, which happen to be staggered. My Tex Mex pickups are staggered, which are pretty dirty sounding if I want them to be, and so are Texas Specials, the dirtiest of them all. SCN pickups are custom staggered too, which sound really smooth.

So ask for either Vintage Noiseless or SCN (Samarium Cobalt Noiseless)
-Jim Morrison
Alright Vintage Noiseless. Thank you very much for your quick help SlinkyBlue.
Quote by DAaaMan64
Alright Vintage Noiseless. Thank you very much for your quick help SlinkyBlue.

Sure thing!
-Jim Morrison