ok, so i'm a bit of a noob at this whole tube amp thing. on the back of my head it has a switch: one side is for (4)16 ohms and the other is for 8 ohms. i have it on (4)16.

So i plugged my speaker cable into my head and then into the speaker input jack on my cabinet. there are two of them, one that says 4 ohms and the other that says 16 ohms. So i plugged it in to the 16 ohm one and switched it to mono.

On my amp i switched standby from O to 1 and waited a couple of minutes and switched power on. Is this right? i got sound and everything from my amp, but when i put my hands near the tubes, it felt real hot. This may be a stupid question, but they're supposed to get pretty hot right?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
i believe that its supposed to be warm at least. hot im not sure of but there should be some heat.
They give off a fair amount of heat. You did everything the way you should have done
cool thanks much
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
ok, so i'm a bit of a noob at this whole tube amp thing. on the back of my head it has a switch: one side is for (4)16 ohms and the other is for 8 ohms. i have it on (4)16.

So i plugged my speaker cable into my head and then into the speaker input jack on my cabinet. there are two of them, one that says 4 ohms and the other that says 16 ohms. So i plugged it in to the 16 ohm one and switched it to mono.

On my amp i switched standby from O to 1 and waited a couple of minutes and switched power on. Is this right? i got sound and everything from my amp, but when i put my hands near the tubes, it felt real hot. This may be a stupid question, but they're supposed to get pretty hot right?

VERY Hot. Dont ever touch your tubes if you can help it...hense the reason they should be covered.

Now concerning tubes, the hotter they get the more saturation you get and overall distortion.

Pay particular attention to your impediance settings on your speakers. Make absolutely sure they match. Do not play 16 ohm speakers throught the 8 ohm setting or you will blow them.

Also make sure you set your amp to standby before plugging / unplugging your guitar! You should switch power on first then followed by standby ...reverse order to turn it off.
My stuff:
05 Zakk Wylde Custom LP
99 PRS CE-22 Honeyburst
01 PRS CE-22 Amber
96 Joe Perry LP
80 LP Custom
07 Robert Clay Strat
86 Ibanez USA Custom
39 Martin 000-18
5150 2x12 Combo
Genz Benz Diablo Combo
Zakk Wylde MG 15
Last edited by hartagram at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by psychokiller99

This sounded right up until the part about switching it to mono. Switching what?

Quote by psychokiller99
On my amp i switched standby from O to 1 and waited a couple of minutes and switched power on. Is this right? i got sound and everything from my amp,
This sounds wrong. The last thing you need to do before you get sound is to flip the standby switch. You had it in the wrong position when you turned the power on. If you turn the power on, wait about 30 ~ 60 sec, THEN flip the standby switch, your tubes will last longer.

Quote by psychokiller99
but when i put my hands near the tubes, it felt real hot. This may be a stupid question, but they're supposed to get pretty hot right?

Yeah, tubes get hot. You can burn yourself badly on output tubes.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.