I got my new (well, 2nd hand) bass in a couple of days ago... and it's looking ****ing great.

EDIT: It also plays great as well. Forgot to mention that. :P

CARVIN XB76

Mmm.... case. Good condition too.

Oh yeah.... the s3x.

6 strings, with master volume, pickup blender, some other pot (err.. will check what this is later), active bass, mids and trebs pots. Not sure about the toggle switch though. Will try later of course!

Neck thru! First one I got.

Close up of the body...

BODY: Koa / Flamed Curly Koa (on top)
NECK: Canadian Hard Rock Maple / 2 Graphite Truss Rods
FRETBOARD: Ebony / Abalone Inlays
BRIDGE: Hipshot
PICKUPS: H5OS Stacked Humbucker Neck, HB2 Bridge Humbucker
ELECTRONICS: 3 Band Active/Passive electronics w/ master volume, pickup blend, active bass, mid, treble controls

It's in pretty good condition being 2nd hand and all. Although there are SOME gripes...

There is a dent in the neck at the bottom around 4th-5th fret. You can feel it easily, but you don't really notice it when you play. Anyone know how to fix or fill the gap?

Also, one of the pots is EXTREMELY tight. Hard to change between 1 - 10 quickly. How to loosen it?

And last question, the strap holder closest to me (on the upper horn) is pretty damn loose. How do I tighten it? (The actual screw is on tight but the holder can jiggle alot if I move it.)

I got this beauty for £500 + £25 P&P so, £525 it costed me. Good deal or nay?
Congratulations on your Carvin!

Join the Carvin Club!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
500 pounds? I'd call that a bargain! Quite partial to the odd Carvin meself...bass p0rn...dribbledribble. Seriously tho', very nice. I wouldn't bother about the ding on the neck, if I were you. Unless it really bugs you!
Is it the pot that's stiff, or is the knob grinding on the body (oo-er missus)? This is getting frighteningly Freudian now...
^The ding doesn't really bother me while playing, although it just annoys me that it's there.

The pot is not touching the wood, no. The pot is stiff to move, it's just annoying switching between 1 - 10!
Try squirting some contact cleaner into the pot body from inside the cavity. Get it from an electrical supplies shop like Ross Electrics, even Halfords do it. Or Maplin's...
Just be careful with it, it's quite aggressive. Spray it, and work the pot round a few times. Maybe try it a couple of times over an hour or two.
If it doesn't help, you may need a new pot.
very nice bass! as mentioned above, try some electrical contact cleaner. if that doesn't work, have it looked at. the ding can be repaired at the shop. maybe $50 to $75, i'm guessing. if it doesn't interfere with your playin', leave it alone. the knob, if it needs replacing, might run about the same $$. very sweet bass. i hope it sounds as well as it looks.
The pots not scratchy so i dont think electrical contact cleaner will help.

What i do think it is it that the pot has been too tightly secured to the body and the knob and body are rubbing together making it hard to turn, to fix this take the knob off (probs a lil screw or allen nut to remove here) and then loose the hex nut.

Don't do it too loose tho or the pot will turn rather than change resistance.

EDIT - Nise bass! Great bargin.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Very nice bass, and a congrats! And yes Jonno is right on about the pots, someone got over aggressive with a tightening job in the past. Had the same issue with my second hand Ibanez.

And overtime you may accept that some dings give your bass a bit of character. And think, of it this way if you ever become famous, some poor fool at the custom build shop will be forced to replicate that very ding on your tribute bass, lol.
The switch should be your active/passive switch...that way if your batteries go out on the active preamp onstage you can just flip the switch and you still have sound. GREAT FEATURE! Also nice model too. gotta love that 35 1/4" scale. How tight are the strings compared to a standard?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
That's an amazing looking bass, I hear Carvin make some great stuff.
I've just ordered an Ibanez SR506. Expect a thread with lots of large pictures when the time comes.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Goodness Gracious great Bass of fire! Looks damn awesome. I'm not too much a fan of neck-thru on basses because of the sound it gives, but damn it looks so much better than bolt-on, especially this job.

Looks awesome, congrats on a high quality buy!
Quote by Jonnomainman
The pots not scratchy so i dont think electrical contact cleaner will help.

What i do think it is it that the pot has been too tightly secured to the body and the knob and body are rubbing together making it hard to turn, to fix this take the knob off (probs a lil screw or allen nut to remove here) and then loose the hex nut.

Don't do it too loose tho or the pot will turn rather than change resistance.

EDIT - Nise bass! Great bargin.

Thanks mate, done that and it's easy to move now! Sorted.

First time with a 6 string bass, so much stuff to play... also.... I forgot to mention. The B string has got a Hipshot D- Tuner I think it's called? Drops the B -> A.