can anyone here, hear something being played on the guitar and then be able to decifer what is being played?
If you want to shine like the sun first you must burn like it.
Plenty of people can I would assume, thats how tabs are made. I personally can't really do that though.
Of course people can do that. I'm not one of those people though.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Wrong Forum this belongs in Electric Guitar.
My Gear
Jackson RR5
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG10 : Deaceased
Esp Ltd Ec-50
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop wah
Marshall Avt 50x
I sometimes get the odd riff but I've never learned a whole song by ear.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Quote by spitfire6860

so only electric guitar is tabbed/written out by ear?

lets ignore every other instrument then?
Quote by spitfire6860

sorry bud
i play by ear a lot. unless it's a seriously fast solo with tons of effects. then it's a little hard for me to tell which note is which, so that's when i log onto UG and just look at the tab

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
It just takes practise. I cnt personally do it myself but i was talking to me guitar 'buddy' and he can do it, he said it takes about three years until u can do simple songs like greenday and fall out boy songs
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by sloppyjoe24
i play by ear a lot. unless it's a seriously fast solo with tons of effects. then it's a little hard for me to tell which note is which, so that's when i log onto UG and just look at the tab

are you busy, you think you could take a look at this... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JU86ZMrIC_s
It's not too hard. Just takes practice and you have to know what certain things sound like. Chord progressions and scale knowledge help tremendously.
usually if your one to look at tabs, playing by ear will be harder cause you have to train your ear. IF you play by ear, most of your stuff will be more original because its how you hear it then play it!
Blues are easy to play but hard to feel.

-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by spitfire6860

No, you could learn to decifier many musical instruments, like basses and painos, as well as guitars.
depends on the song

but yes
i've been getting pretty good at working chord progression for pop songs recently
Some riffs are easier than others, naturally... Good luck trying to pick up Necrophagist by ear, for example.
I'm a communist. Really.
My uncle can do it. hes been doing it for the past 35 years. So hes pretty damn good at it. Me on the other hand...maybe an easy riff or two.
Be cool.
I can do that. A lot of songs that I can't find tabs for, I learn by ear.

But that's not to say I don't prefer tabs. They're much easier and take less time.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by will123456789
It just takes practise. I cnt personally do it myself but i was talking to me guitar 'buddy' and he can do it, he said it takes about three years until u can do simple songs like greenday and fall out boy songs

Well tell him he's full of ****. It doesn't take any amount of time/experience, you just need good pitch.

Sorry for the possible double post.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X