Page 1 of 2
So I want a smooth blues sound. Now I'll be using a Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster but I don't know what amp and what kind of pedals and effect things and such. I was thinking of a Tube Amp but I wouldn't know which one and as for pedals and effects I'm clueless. Lil help?
Got a price range? The best amp for that i'd say would be a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo. My friend has one. His set-up goes Standard Strat---Fuzz Face---TS-9---Bluesbreaker and he has awesome tone. But thats an expensive rig..
I don't want a distortion sound though I want it to be smooth. And the amp should be around 400 at most, the pedals are usually 150 or under anyways.
get a fender blues jr, and no pedals. that'll get you there. spend the remaining $100 on a new speaker. boom a blues machine.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
its a combo. stock speaker sucks.

and if u want a head/cab config for $400, u would be getting more of a piece of **** than a blues amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Hmm maybe you could pick up a used Peavey classic 30 for that much, i live in australia so i dont know what amps sell for over there. We get majorly ripped off:-(. Possibly a used Vox AC30..?
All of the Blues Jr. I see are only 15w do they come with any more watts or is that it?
^ Tube watts are alot louder then SS watts incase you didnt know. Do you need it for gigs?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by Firebread
All of the Blues Jr. I see are only 15w do they come with any more watts or is that it?

it would blow ur head away.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ha, right good to know. No I'm not using it for gigs, need it for practice till I get into a band where I'll need it for gigs.
Last edited by Firebread at Oct 20, 2007,
Yeah, 15 watts is more than enough. I have a Traynor YCV20WR.
It has a celestion greenback speaker, 15 watts class A all tube. Spring reverb. I got it used for about the same price as a blues jr. It will be even better when i install some jj euro tubes.
Blues jr. and a strat would be an amazing set-up. Master volume at 8, gain at 4.5, reverb at 2.5, bass at 7, mids at 7.5, and treble at 6. Thats what i use when I play the blues.
blues jr gets fair bit of distortion from the preamp. its great. but when u roll back ur volume, it cleans up too. i have a Blues Jr - Strat rig. with a Weber Vintage 12F150 speaker, Tungsol 12AX7 preamp tubes, and JJ/Tesla EL84 powertubes. its gorgeous.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
one i have is the first one. first and second are the same, except for the cover. third one just has different cover and a better speaker.

i went for the first one + speaker swap (better than the jensen in the blonde) + tube swap.
tube swap is needed in all three.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm not sure what a tube swap and a speaker swap is and how much it's gonna cost.
tube swap means change the tubes. it should be around $50~60.
speaker swap is change the speaker. mine was $100.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Helps the sound. The tube change would change how the singnal is processed, and the speaker would change the quality of the sound. I suggest u do both. The only difference between the three Blues Jr.s is the covering and the grill cloth. get the first one, b/c the other two are more expensive i think.
the first and second should be the same price. the tweed one is more expensive. at one moment, the blonde ones were cheaper than the regular tolex ones.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok so is there any tubes or speakers I should change to and can I just have like guitar center do it?
tubes you can change it urself. u just pull the stock one out, and push the new one in.

speakers, u might need guitar center to do the soldering
but u might not.

i suggest buying the replacement online, and learn how to solder ur speaker.

but do this after you try it. when you try it, and u like it like that, don't change it till u start disliking it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sounds like you have just about decided to go with the blues junior. But, you may want to look into a used Fender Blues Deluxe. I picked up a used one myself for about 400 and it is in perfect condition. The cleans are absolutely amazing but the overdrive is somewhat lacking. I wanted that same smooth blues sound you are talking about so I picked up a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. You can get some terrific drive from it, but you can also blend the clean back in the smooth the tone over a bit. You put the Sparkle Drive over the clean channel of the Blues Deluxe and you just can't beat that tone. Just a suggestion that you might want to look into.
^so... u add a sparkle drive's distortion on top of the clean channel? i mean, if u want overdrive, why wouldn't u get a master volume amp? sparkle drive might be good, but it's still solid state distortion it produces... so $400 fender blues deluxe and a $130 sparkle drive?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
stock speaker sucks.

FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^iono. it rattled on the BJ cabinet. if it sounds good to you, all it matters. it wasn't my taste, thus it sucked. that ofcourse, is from my point of view.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^iono. it rattled on the BJ cabinet. if it sounds good to you, all it matters. it wasn't my taste, thus it sucked. that ofcourse, is from my point of view.

I know I'm just messing with you pal. IMO, when I tried a BJ stock, it had a little to much speaker distortion to where you couldn't hear the notes. With the VJ, it's not enough to unreasonably distort it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^build a good cab with good open back so the speaker can breathe!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^build a good cab with good open back so the speaker can breathe!

I plan to head to lows shortly after my pickups arive and force them to build me something! Our scheme is full proof!

And, on topic, the BJ is probably the finest blues amp in your price range. It is very creamy, and can do many different blues sounds. From Bright Clean blues, to raunchy fat blues, to smooth and creamy.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^lowes? they build stuff for you? i didn't know that... but it might be better to ask them. they'd have right equipment to cut out the circle too. ur new low output pickups won't drive the amp as much tho. want a clean booster?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^lowes? they build stuff for you? i didn't know that... but it might be better to ask them. they'd have right equipment to cut out the circle too. ur new low output pickups won't drive the amp as much tho. want a clean booster?

Weren't you the one who said that they have some slogan which means they have to build it for me?

I'll think about the clean booster though, but I wanted to the lower output pickups to get me to that point of breakup at higher volumes, because their is nothing like a loud clean amp IMO. So sustainful!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^i think it's: "Do it yourself, we can help."

which is like... it depends on what extent they're saying "we can help" on. but yea. if they say they can help u can just go in and say...
"i've got the wood. now help me make my ****ing cab."

if they be like... "no, we do not offer building guitar speaker cabinets."

then go... "was that false advertisement??? then get the **** off my television."

they can't just say thats not what they mean i guess? they should at least cut the wood into the dimension u need. u can use a drill and a screw driver right???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ive never seen that ANYwhere... where the hell did u dig that out of?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^why does it sound kind of digital to me? i mean, it's good... but seems to me that he used a digital recording interface.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Page 1 of 2