how would you go about picking a fast riff like this? all downs? alternate picking? or just whatever feels right because i don't want to practice bad habits? one thing that i like is down stroke all of the notes on the e string and then up stroke all of the notes on the higher strings. is that okay to do, or is there a better way?

Elder Mysanthropy by the black dahlia murder
233 bpm all 8th notes

drop c

|---------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------| x2
|----7---5----------------------hp----|
|-------------8---7---8---7---575---|
|-00--0---0---0---0---0---0--------|

and then

|--------------------------------------|
|---------------h---------------h-----|
|-----7---8---78-----8---7---78---|
|-88---8---8-----66---6---6-------|

and it does both of those sections two times total
If it was me I'd down pick all the notes on the low E and up pick the others but knowing that the band is a bit heavy it's probably all supposed to be down picked.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
All alt. picking. Start it with an upstroke and then it works out that all the notes on higher strings are played with an upstroke.
For the second, use alt. picking but if a note is played as a hammer-on, dont actually pick it but still count it as if you had picked that note.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Oct 21, 2007,
when i play pedal tones like that i usually use an upstroke on the higher notes, so alternate picking
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I'd probably economy pick it. You don't need to use downstrokes on the C (they tune C standard, if I'm not mistaken, call me on it if I'm wrong) since it's just single notes and it won't make as much of a difference as if you were putting a 5th on top of it. I would economy pick that passage.

All hail Frank Gambale! Alt-picking elitists, bash away!
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
yeah I would agree wid troyponce economy pick it which I think here would be down on the C string and up on all the higher notes
Quote by deaththrashcore
Actually, you could let her starve herself to death, then no matter what you do she won't complain. Necrophilia = the best kind of philia.

Only God can make a minor 2nd sound good.

Sick my Duck

Genius_92 AKA Ass Kicker
Quote by troyponce
I'd probably economy pick it. You don't need to use downstrokes on the C (they tune C standard, if I'm not mistaken, call me on it if I'm wrong) since it's just single notes and it won't make as much of a difference as if you were putting a 5th on top of it. I would economy pick that passage.

All hail Frank Gambale! Alt-picking elitists, bash away!

I'm not being bias when I say that economy picking is inneficient in this case.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
srry for the noobishness but how do u economy pick?
Up the Punx!
Quote by Dvnc
srry for the noobishness but how do u economy pick?

It's when you use two consecutive down or up-strokes. The idea is to make the minimal amount of motion to get to the next string. Think of it like sweeping across two strings.
Quote by Caressing Death
It's when you use two consecutive down or up-strokes. The idea is to make the minimal amount of motion to get to the next string. Think of it like sweeping across two strings.

yeah, but how does that help me here?
Quote by glcometdude32
yeah, but how does that help me here?

It doesn't, really, in this case. Your mentioned pattern of downs on the low C and ups on the above strings is probably the easiest. Economy picking is a bit awkward in this situation...
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
Quote by Caressing Death
All alt. picking. Start it with an upstroke and then it works out that all the notes on higher strings are played with an upstroke.
For the second, use alt. picking but if a note is played as a hammer-on, dont actually pick it but still count it as if you had picked that note.

+1
This is probably the best option.