http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywo0Mc8ELEg

What guitar and amp do you think this guy is using?

I was thinking of an Ibanez prestige and a JSX combo. I would buy the amp first, then the guitar. The prestige i was thinking of is this one

But not too concerned about the guitar right now. What do you think of the JSX?
EDIT: should have said I have an Ibanezs470dxqm with a paf pro and a evolution. Im getting rid of my old rig, not really into classic rock anymore.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Off topic but how is that Ibanez s470. Been thinking about picking one up myself.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
hes using an old marshall
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Its awesome. The pickups are abit muddy, but they are better then most of the other ibanez pickups. I set it up, and the bridge sqeeks abit when i pull it back, can barely hear it, doesnt affect playability or anything. Feels really nice and sounds like a charm, they love extra slinkies, and the evo really brings it to life. Hated myself for not having the extra 300$ for a prestige S series at the time though. But i think really its not that different.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Hmm, if I was you, this is what I'd do:

Keep the S470 and replace the pickups. It's a great guitar and will serve you well with a few tweaks.

As for the amp, you need quite a smooth sounding valve amp. He seems to be using a Plexi, which leads me to recommend an Orange Rocker 30. You can get Plexi tones without shaking the foundations.

You'd need a couple of effects, namely reverb and probably a touch of delay.

I think that'd get you pretty close. Quite middy EQ settings too, with the bass a bit lower and the treble perhaps a touch lower still. Something like that, I can't fiddle with my amp to see as it's past 2am haha.

Hope that helps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Alright thanks man!! Will the rocker be able to do anything metalish though? Would a JSX be able to do that and the higher gain stuff?
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
The Rocker can go up to metalish stuff, yeah, especially if you put an OD in the mix. I can get up to, not that they're my sort of thing, Avenged Sevenfold sort of things quite reasonably.

I'm not really familiar with the JSX in a hands on way so I wouldn't be able to say mate

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by InanezGuitars44
hes using an old marshall

He's there doing a clinic for Suhr guitars and amps, so it could be he's using the plexi in the back, but i't might as well be a Suhr amp.

Edit: He's using a Suhr OD-100SE.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 21, 2007,
Never heard of it. How much are they? would be interesting to try one out. But knowing Australia, i doubt it.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by Metal_Injection
Never heard of it. How much are they? would be interesting to try one out. But knowing Australia, i doubt it.

A lot.

Suhr is pretty much a custom shop, meaning they have a very low output. If the prices of the guitars are an indication, prepare to shell out a few thousand bucks.

By the way, the Ibanez you're looking at is a very nice one: maple fretboard, Edge Pro trem, thin/flat neck and Prestige quality, so it's going to be ideal for shred.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 21, 2007,
Ahh damn haha. Well Suhr aint going to happen!! So the amps im thinking off are:
Rocker 30
F-30
JSX

I'll probably go with the Rocker 30. I'll play a couple and see how it goes. Just need the money!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Quote by Metal_Injection
Ahh damn haha. Well Suhr aint going to happen!! So the amps im thinking off are:
Rocker 30
F-30
JSX

I'll probably go with the Rocker 30. I'll play a couple and see how it goes. Just need the money!

I have the big brother of the F-30 and it's definitely a very nice amp. Just try all three of them and see which one you like best, all of them have different sounds and characteristics so it's up to you to see which one you prefer.
From all that I've read the JSX is very versatile and has a great lead tone, High gain and clean. So my guess would be with a few extra pedals you could get that tone anyways check out these videos.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa65ElHwkmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4oFisXHOyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4oFisXHOyo

I myself am actually trying to decide on a Carvin Legacy or Peavey JSX I would look into the Legacy if your more of a lead oriented player maybe not the most versitle amp but with the right distortion/OD you could probably get a good metal rythme tone out of it as well.
Whats the price difference do you know? I'm trying to sell my High Gain amp i have now. just don't use it for full on metal these days.

Which one would react more too Dimarzios? especially the evo? cheers everyone, been awesome help
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB
Well I'm not sure about the stacks but with the combos I believe the Legacy is $500 cheaper than the JSX. An they both should sound awesome with dimarzios both Vai(Legacy) and Satriani(JSX) both use dimarzio pickups. But specifically talking about Evos I'd have to say the Legacy being thats Vai's sig pickups and amp.
hey man, thanks alot, sorry for bumping an old thread, still sorta looking for an amp, wasnt very satisified with the rocker, jsx of the f30, so im umping my budget

What do you guys think of Frenzel Amps? I heard some really good things about them, not as expensive as bogners or soldanos, still im not about to fall for witty reviews,

http://musiciscool.com/FrenzelElectronics/BluTone50.htm

Anyone have any experience with these?
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
ESP LTD EC1000VB