So i've gotta write a song for music. Thats no problem I can write..decently..not great..

The problem is the melody. They give us lyrics that we have to put music too and I have an idea for the rhythem just not the notes. Its in the key of Gm with the chords Gm Eb Bb F if any of that helps.

Any hints, tips, shortcuts, advice to writing a melody would be sweet. Thanks
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I assume you mean B flat Major when you say Gm. It's always easier to be in a major key than to use the relative minor.

I'll just say Gm though for now. Ok, so your going from a Gm (I) to an Eb (VI) to a Bb (III) to an F (VII or diminished). Without playing this and going from theory alone, a I, VI, III, VII- doesn't sound like it would make much sense. Instead, try a I, V, III progression. Suspend the chord when it sounds right as well. These are just simple suggestions, if you like, I can spend some time and change the key for you and get some decent sounding complex progression ideas.
Righto..

My teacher suggested this progression.. i - VI - III - VII and said its better in minor so I went from there..

So yeah..about this melody =P
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Start on a note from the underlying chord. Use more chord tones. Connect them with passing tones. I don't know, really. Original rhythms are harder for me to think of than melodies.
It's a good progression. I assume you mean G minor when you say G minor because thats what you said and thats what the song is in.

Emphasise chord tones in the melody. Between the chord tones use other notes as passing tones - they dont even need to be in key, just follow your ear.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums