Page 1 of 2
Alright, well as some of you may know, I'm on the look out for a new amp again, I'd basically narrowed it down to the VHT Deliverance or Mesa Mark IV. Then I came across the Carvin... I'd known about it long before, but never really checked out all of its features until this afternoon.

The V3 has footswitchable channels (which the VHT doesn't, which is majorly turning me off from it), also has a serial and parallel effects loop (again, the VHT doesn't have an effects loop AT ALL), fixed bias for either EL-34s or 6L6s (big plus, since I don't really wanna pay for biasing or buy biasing tools and learn how to) as well as the biggest thing it has (imo), the ability to assign certain loops to certain channels. However, it lacks a reverb, which is kinda throwing me off atm as I really like my reverb, but I guess I could add a pedal if I got it. Any suggestions for a reverb ($100-200 max)?

Now down to its sounds...

It'd be replacing my 5150 and F-30 and would really like to know the difference in tone it has compared to both:

-Is the distortion smooth sounding (not too harsh)?
-Does it have a tight bottom end?
-Does it have defined sounding notes and chords?
-I've heard the distortion be compared to that of a Rectifier, but does it get muddy like the Rectos/5150?
-How much of the gain is actually usable before it just makes it sound "fizzy" (ie: The 5150 after about 6.5 on pre-gain)?
-I heard it had reliability issues when it came out, are these fixed?
-What other pro/cons does it have?

If I can find a used Mark IV locally to try and buy, I'd more than likely go with that amp over the V3, but right now, the V3 seems to be my best bet, well at least based on reviews and such.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 20, 2007,
a Holy/Holier/Holiest Grail would be good for reverb. Im not too sure on the amps tho.
Does carvin offer the 10 day trial for their amps? If so you can order one and try it. Go on the Carvin website and find out some more about it, and ask on their forums too. With that being said... You might find that the V3 lacks in the gain department, but other than that, I can not name another amp that is such a good value. Are you going to get the full stack?
Quote by rlx21
Does carvin offer the 10 day trial for their amps? If so you can order one and try it. Go on the Carvin website and find out some more about it, and ask on their forums too. With that being said... You might find that the V3 lacks in the gain department, but other than that, I can not name another amp that is such a good value. Are you going to get the full stack?

Really? I've heard the V3 has TONS of gain.

No, I'm not getting the fullstack, just the head. I have a Marshall 1960 to use it on.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Honestly, it does, I have only heard the gain thing from like real freaky metal heads. It is an amazing amp. I doubt you will be limmited in any way with the v3. Carvin makes amazing products. Find out about the 10 day trial period. If you try it and dont like it you send it back, and they only charge you the shipping.
I dont know, all custom guitars have 10 day trial. I would ask on their forums about it if I were you. But still, you'll know within the first day or 2 if your gonna keep it.
Alright, so I'd been talkin with a few people on here about the V3 and we found some awesome clips of it that actually surprised us. Anyone own one that can give me a little more info?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^I thought you were all on the F-30 thing haha.

Anyways, I've heard the V3 cannot do t3h br00t4alz.

Have you considered Diezel, Diamond, Bogner Uberschall?
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__

what exactly do you mean by "the brutals" (sorry, I'm not typing that )
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
^i mean extreme metal, like really high gain death metal.
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
^i mean extreme metal, like really high gain death metal.

gotcha. what would you recommend that has 'brutal OD' in the $1G range, give or take another $500? new/used.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by jerm__

Yeah, I really like my F-30, but since my friend wants to buy it and is giving me more than what I paid for it, I can't really pass that up, so I figured there's gotta be somethin better than my F-30 out there for my price range now.

I'd really really like a Diezel, but they're too high priced for me, I want to spend, max $1500, though I would maybe go a little higher if it something that's really awesome.

As for clips, if you haven't heard them yet... check this out, the amp in it is the V3, he's using a G-Major for the reverb effect you hear.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 21, 2007,
Quote by jerm__

Judging by those clips alone... I think it could.. if not quite there.. Just use an OD
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
gotcha. what would you recommend that has 'brutal OD' in the $1G range, give or take another $500? new/used.

the 6505 is pretty brutal, ENGL's, maybe Madison, VHT used, Bogner used.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Does carvin offer the 10 day trial for their amps? If so you can order one and try it. Go on the Carvin website and find out some more about it, and ask on their forums too. With that being said... You might find that the V3 lacks in the gain department,

Yes all Carvins have the 10 day - no questions asked return policy and they definitely DO NOT lack in the gain dept. No they dont do Ubershall metal...but so what??? They get pretty nasty.
I've been playing one for a couple of months now and I'll take the Pepsi challenge between the V3 and any three channel, 100watt, double FX loop with clean boost amp out there. At any price point.
Quote by qotsa1998
a Holy/Holier/Holiest Grail would be good for reverb. Im not too sure on the amps tho.

+84. I think there's a new "Holy Grail +" out too that you might want to look over.
How about a modded 5150?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hey, i guess im the "co-guitarist". Yea i bought my amp after considering the XXX, JSX, and Marshall TSL 100. Although i kinda wanted reverb, i was really surprised at how much gain this thing really has. 3 independent channels with the ability to have 3 types of distortion or clean. If you want a soundclip of something specific let me know. Other then that, check out the movie that carvin has to demo the V3 and see if you still like it after that.

Oh, i also bought my amp when i lived in MD. The guy lived up north near San Fran, and i got the head and single 4x12 cab for $1100. Not bad eh? Again shoot me a PM or just reply to this if you want a soundclip or explanation.
Quote by aznrockerdude
How about a modded 5150?

Already have a 5150 and isn't worth it to me to have it modded when it still might not be what I want.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Hey, does the F-30 have enough gain for modern metal, MatrixClaw?

Yeah, it has pretty close to as much gain as a Recto, but it's not muddy like a recto, and it has a really good clean channel.

dogismycopilot, how would you compare the V3 to the JSX? I actually really enjoy the sound of the JSX, but the V3 has more of what I'm looking for for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the JSX has a bit more bottom end to it, tighter than the V3. I haven't tested either extensively, though.

Thanks for the info about the F-30. There's one on craigslist for 800 bucks. Is that a good deal?

Not really, I bought mine new from GC for $712. I think MESAexplorer still has his F-100 for sale for about that?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hmm...I think I'll try haggling, then. Thanks for the tip.

No problemo
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
On the JSX and the V3. The JSX is a great amp, but it got too fat for me at certain times (times meaning when i cranked the volume). It was really hard for me to balance enough "fat"ness with not distorting the notes. Now with the V3, you have the option to switch between 3 types of distortion. Intense, Thick, and in between. I think i also mentioned that you can set both channels 1 and 2 (both distortion) to sound exactly alike. The clean (channel 3) has the same thing, only it switches from bright, soak, and in between.

What did you like more about the V3 that drew you toward it more than the JSX? Anything specific i could probably elaborate on. Did you also see the video?
Quote by dogismycopilot
On the JSX and the V3. The JSX is a great amp, but it got too fat for me at certain times (times meaning when i cranked the volume). It was really hard for me to balance enough "fat"ness with not distorting the notes. Now with the V3, you have the option to switch between 3 types of distortion. Intense, Thick, and in between. I think i also mentioned that you can set both channels 1 and 2 (both distortion) to sound exactly alike. The clean (channel 3) has the same thing, only it switches from bright, soak, and in between.

What did you like more about the V3 that drew you toward it more than the JSX? Anything specific i could probably elaborate on. Did you also see the video?

What drew me to it more than the JSX is well obviously the price, it's a lot cheaper than the JSX , the onboard boost and the smart loop which would be majorly helpful. Also the bright, mid cut and deep knobs seem like they'd add even more to the amp. Plus, I have a 5150 right now and am not really a fan of it anymore so really didn't want to go with another Peavey amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea, well that fourth little area on the face on the amp that controls the boost/cut and everything in between does wonders for me. You can also turn it off/on with the footswitch that they give ya. This amp is very versatile, i promise you'll like it. Oh, and the price is mmmm giggidy. =P
Yea, well if you can bare with me Matrix i will post a few clips of my on my profile jammin out to a few different settings. Im sorry to say that because of the fire close to where i live they are asking me to evacuate. I will try and do what i can when i get back, hopefully within a day or two.

Below the pic is the video

http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/V3/V3412.php
It was hilarious. They were like, grab what you need and get out. 20min later my dad has a dufflebag of clothes and water. I have my amp and guitar...........damn stright. I tried to fit as much of my music gear in the car as i could. Clothes are a lot cheaper then my guitar and amp; see im thinking of the bigger picture here.
Quote by dogismycopilot
It was hilarious. They were like, grab what you need and get out. 20min later my dad has a dufflebag of clothes and water. I have my amp and guitar...........damn stright. I tried to fit as much of my music gear in the car as i could. Clothes are a lot cheaper then my guitar and amp; see im thinking of the bigger picture here.

haha

Well I hope everything's fine when you get back!

Oh and that video makes it seem even more cool haha. Hmmm, if I get it though, I'll probably get a midi controller as a footpedal instead of the one that's meant for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 22, 2007,
In the mean time...Anyone else own/tried a V3? Also, if you've played a JSX that'd be a major plus as right now I'm pretty much between the V3 and JSX.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
chris seriously dude get that v3 my friend owns one and it kills mesa in the gain and has really exceptional cleans considering it can kill a mesa as for the other amp you suggested...dont bother the vht is a britished voice amp head and is ok but the mesa is a american voiced and so it the v3 and the v3 is just really good and get the holy grail reverb *drools* i want a V3 soo bad im saving up for a head then putting it to a mesa cab
Quote by convictionless
chris seriously dude get that v3 my friend owns one and it kills mesa in the gain and has really exceptional cleans considering it can kill a mesa as for the other amp you suggested...dont bother the vht is a britished voice amp head and is ok but the mesa is a american voiced and so it the v3 and the v3 is just really good and get the holy grail reverb *drools* i want a V3 soo bad im saving up for a head then putting it to a mesa cab

Are you sure the VHT is british voiced? Seems to me it'd be more modern voiced *shrug* Sounded awesome when I played it though, but is only 1 channel, and I need cleans and gain, so I can't use it

I actually really liked the JSX over my 5150, which is why I've pretty much narrowed it down to those two. Its more of the tone I'm looking for but the V3 sounds like it could be what I want plus more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2