okay ive seen alot of players pick from their thumb and they play lightning fast runs effortlessly.

EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR5xPpkR-V0&mode=related&search=

My questions is, exactly what part of your thumb or hand do you move to get the least amount of motion?

Should i angle the pick in the same manner that he, yngwie and gilbert do?

and finally

would it effect my sweep picking?
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Wait, do you mean that he is or isn't using a pick? If you look closely you can tell he is holding a white pick, it's jsut blending in with his white pickguard... Can't really answer your question otherwise though.
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
i know he's using a pick.
Quote by csn00b
Picking with your thumb is not a good idea. The muscles in your thumb are not designed to maneuver like that.
Ideally you want to pick from the wrist.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
I'm on dial up and have to get off here soon so I'm not going to wait 20 minutes for the song to load.

But as far as picking goes, I use a pick, my thumb and fingers, both, whatever works and gets the sound, style and feel I'm after. I've been working on fingerpicking a lot the past 3 or 4 years and have it down pretty well now to the point I can play most anything I want to by fingerpicking it, so it's mostly a matter of practice. But your thumb is the least mobile of your digits, you're not going to get any speed picking with it. I finger pick pretty fast, but I alternate between thumb and 2 fingers, and can play a lot of different stuff without a pick at all. I also use a lot of hammers and pull offs, whatever it takes...

Find what pick position works best for you, experiment with different pick shape, materials and thickness, try finger picking and work on picking technique. I hold my pick with the thumb and index finger both only slightly bent, not up on the first knuckle with the index finger tightly curled like a lot of players do, and I use mostly wrist movement with a little finger flex. Sometimes I rest my pinkie or ring finger on the guitar, mostly if I need to muffle the bottom string or if accuracy is critical, sometimes I rest my hand on top of the bridge for that style of muffling, and sometimes nothing but the pick touches the guitar, it all depends on the sound and effect I want. Also I sometimes hold the pick loosely so it can flex and move in my fingers, sometimes tight, again it depends on what I'm after. I drop a lot of picks, usually at least a half dozen a night, so I bring plenty to gigs and learned to finger pick really well so I don't have to stop and grab a pick, just keep playing. I also use a couple of different thickness picks, for both acoustic and electric, so I usually have about 5 or 6 different picks or more to choose from, again depending on what I want from the guitar. Several of each...Thinner picks for acoustic, thicker for electric, a couple of variations of each. I've been known to use an 8 sided Mexican coin from time to time too...but no speed picking there, that's useful for Billy Gibbons style laid back, melodic stuff with some chinks and chimes thrown in.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Ideally, you should pick from your wrist. Of course, there are guys out there with really odd technique, and it seems to work for them, but picking correctly from your wrist is pretty much guaranteed to work for you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
if you watch the video youll see he's not picking with his thumb.What i meant was that the picking motion comes from his thumb.
Quote by csn00b
Yeah, I caught that, and developed my answer around it, so my last post still stands.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by jpgilbert701
Should i angle the pick in the same manner that he, yngwie and gilbert do?

PG doesn't pick from his thumb.

He changes the angle of the pick using his thumb, but usually just sticks to a 45 degree angle for a nice and scratchy "cello-like" sound as he puts it. The actual picking motion comes from his wrist though.

The guy in the vid seems to bend his thumb in the way PG used to - and opposite the way he does now - until he realized it just hurt his thumb and created needless tension.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by Dr. Faustus at Oct 21, 2007,
I'm sick of this nonsense. The most notable difference between circle picking and wrist driven picking is the sound. Both can be done very quickly, both can be done with very little tension. The merits of any technique should be based on how it sounds as opposed to how fast it can be done. Circle picking allows for alot of nuance and a violin like bloom to the notes you pick, at the expense of some upper dynamic range. Wrist picking allows for a harder Gilbertish attack, and greater dyanmic range, at the expense of some nuance. In my experience, it seems that circle pickers tend to have more developed dampening techniques.

The value of technique is in the presentation of the musical idea.

Ideally, you would get proficent with both, so that you have the greatest control of your sound.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.