Right I've more or less decided on what amp I'm getting soon I've decided to wait a couple of months and get a laney VC-30 cause the majority of peeps tell me its better for metal than the LC (and it sounds sweet :p lol)

But I've just double checked its price on the net and found it has several speaker sizes i'll most likely go for the 1x12 one cause I know that means one speaker and its more affordable

but what differences would the 2x12 or 2x10 make? louder given that there are two speakers? or just a different tone characteristic?
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
If there's 2x12 compared to 1x12, it'll have more presence. It won't really affect volume, but perceived volume. It might seem louder simply because more air is getting moved. 2x12 Combo's can be damn heavy though, so I'm a fan of 1x12 combo's with a 1x12 extension or similar.

There will be tonal differences, I believe you get better bass response from a 2x12 compared to a 1x12, but if you're mic'ed up as you will be 95% of the time, it makes little difference.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Kwl thanks dude all I needed to know :p
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
No worries mate ^_^

Where in England are you btw?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Lincoln in the midlands dude :p

come to think of it if I've still got peoples attention rathre than make another thread does the fact that the VC has only one channel (with foot switchable gain apparently) make it a little less versatile than one with two channels?
Gear:
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Last edited by sajuuk at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by sajuuk
Lincoln in the midlands dude :p

come to think of it if I've still got peoples attention rathre than make another thread does the fact that the VC has only one channel (with foot switchable gain apparently) make it a little less versatile than one with two channels?

Hi man, i am in the same situation as you, i live in grimsby

let me know what you end up doing, i am a metal player also, currently own a valbee which is great but i wold like something a bit bigger now
I'm no expert in terms of speaker size, but the smaller the size, the speaker moves less, thus being more responsive. but it comes at the cost of presence and bass responsiveness. most people go with the 12" speaker as it's the most balanced speaker, opposed to the 10" which isn't as bassy as most like, or the 15" which can get muddy.

IMO, the best option would be a 2X12 cab. it's light on it's own, and you can always get another 2X12 cab, and essentially have a 4X12 cab, but more versatile in your placement of it.

the only con to anything smaller than a 4X12 is that the 412 will keep your amp head up high enough to where you won't need to bend over for adjust it. IMO.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by Sepulturick
Hi man, i am in the same situation as you, i live in grimsby

let me know what you end up doing, i am a metal player also, currently own a valbee which is great but i wold like something a bit bigger now

i'm from lincoln too! sorry to hear you live in grimsby mate. hang in there
Quote by fender_696
i'm from lincoln too! sorry to hear you live in grimsby mate. hang in there

lol i'll try