How in the world does anyone learn to play an instrument like that. I saw this live video of him playing "Bad Horsie" on myspace. Holy S***. Where can I learn to play like that!!!!! Without the expert lessons from joe satriani.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
I actually don't enjoy his music as much as SRV.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
you buy a guitar, and an amp...possibly some guitar lessons, maybe DVD's, magazines... its basically a study.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Thats you. Can't deny they're both killer players though. Vai blows me away. I think he's one of the best out there. He's also my favorite solo guitarist to listen to (Satch is a close second though),
Who?

This thread is dumb...

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll

This thread is dumb...

+1...

And you get good at guitar, just like how you get good at anything else. Practice, practice, practice...
Quote by CJRocker
Thats you. Can't deny they're both killer players though. Vai blows me away. I think he's one of the best out there. He's also my favorite solo guitarist to listen to (Satch is a close second though),

Yeah, I never said he's a bad guitarist. I just don't like the music as much as the classics.
-Jim Morrison
Vai actually admits that he isn't a natural at guitar.

He's a natural at music theory and reading, but at guitar it's uncomfortable for him.

I kinda have to agree, he's really great, but he isn't perfect.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Quote by blair30
Its actually really easy to reach Vai's level of excellence.

Simply practice 10 hours a day every day for about 25 years.

Good luck.

i agree with that
If you think my thread is dumb, don't post just go away, thanks. What DVDs should I get?
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
I dont think you can without help from players like Satch
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
Quote by SlinkyBlue

I'm with you. I think SRV's songs are based on much simpler chord progressions & scales, but he does so much more with them.
I love Vai too though. Tender Surrender is so cool
Quote by What_is_my_name
If you think my thread is dumb, don't post just go away, thanks. What DVDs should I get?

i dont know about a steve vai vid, he does somegood DVD's with orchestra's though, check those out.

but satriani's live in san fransico is awesome.
Quote by What_is_my_name

G3 live in detroit.
Ask Cesar Huesca
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Ask Cesar Huesca

Just watched some of his YouTube vids.
He does happen to be quite excellence.
You think bad horsie is good? Listen to something faster like freak show excess or something
Quote by TimmyPage06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb9h0J_ajA

Absolutely sublime. He's brilliant.

SRV can rip, and was no doubt a great player with an amazing tone, but I wouldn't consider him anywhere near the level of musical genius or skill as Vai.

Perhaps.

But, out of curiosity, have you seen Vai try to play the blues? It sounded like a trainwreck. He trys to fingertap and everything in the Hendrix classic "Red House" in this video.

Go to 3:30
http://youtube.com/watch?v=08oVRtpjQLw

I think SRV dominates Vai at the blues, and I think Vai dominates SRV at metal. I don't think one is on a "higher musical level" than the other. They are both great at what they do.
-Jim Morrison
hate to break it to you slinky, but by trying to even compare vaughan to vai, you are comparing an apple to an orange. You are comparing a guy completely trained by the likes of joe satriani who now is a music composition and theory guru with vaughan who basically had no real sense of training on that level. vaughan played from his heart not his mind, he said so himself. Im not sayin Vai has no soul in his playing, far from it, but Vai definitely thinks things out when composing, while Stevie just lets rip. So please, just stop comparing them, and accept them both for who they are, as you said yourself.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by ledroses23
hate to break it to you slinky, but by trying to even compare vaughan to vai, you are comparing an apple to an orange. You are comparing a guy completely trained by the likes of joe satriani who now is a music composition and theory guru with vaughan who basically had no real sense of training on that level. vaughan played from his heart not his mind, he said so himself. Im not sayin Vai has no soul in his playing, far from it, but Vai definitely thinks things out when composing, while Stevie just lets rip. So please, just stop comparing them, and accept them both for who they are, as you said yourself.

Someone got their panties in a bunch?

Quote by slinkyblue
I think SRV dominates Vai at the blues, and I think Vai dominates SRV at metal. I don't think one is on a "higher musical level" than the other. They are both great at what they do.

How AM I comparing them? They are both great. I just like blues more than metal.

EDIT: I can't believe you said that SRV had no sense of training. Stevie taught himself. That should be good enough for any of us.
-Jim Morrison
Well.
I'm absolutely sure that if Vai tried to play a straight blues it could come out just as good as anyone else.

But remember, that was G3 - it's point was not to play the blues, it's point was for 3 amazing virtuoso guitarists to come out and go absolutely balls to the wall shredfest.
Take guitar lessons from Satch.

Anyway, there are several things out there that can help you, if you practice them religiously. Try to find Vai's 10 or 30 hour workout. Also check out Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Yeah, just practice your life away and maybe, just maybe, you could pwn Steve Vai. Maybe...
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Vai makes me so happy I own an RG

I'm learning For The Love Of God right now. I've been playing for 7 months and not all of his stuff is hard.

...at the first 2\3 minutes of the song, that is.
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by Kartman
Yeah, just practice your life away and maybe, just maybe, you could pwn Steve Vai. Maybe...

What I admire about Steve Vai isn't as much his technique as it is his ability to transcribe, his musical hearing, sight-reading and theoritical knowledge.

All these things are what landed him the place in Zappa's band.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!