What is it about American Idiot that turned you off from the band? Did the political lyrics put you off? Did you dislike the change to a more stadium rock-oriented sound? Can you not stand the two 9 minute medleys? Do you think Green Day for any reason "sold out" on AI? Does the "punk rock opera" concept seem overly pretentious? Does "Wake Me Up When September Ends" make you go to sleep? Is the eyeliner really bugging you?

I am a Green Day fan myself, and though I will be the first to admit that AI is not their best album (that honor goes to either Dookie or Nimrod), I don't think it deserves all the flak that it gets. Production-wise, the sound is different, and "Wake Me Up..." could use some more words, but I found it to be a very solid album with a few classics. The change in sound and political lyrics is a bit startling if you've only listened to Dookie, but it was kind of necessary anyway. Like it or not, Green Day could not write 13 different versions of "Basket Case" and have a hit or truly evolve as a band. Besides that, the album made Green Day relevant again (at least in the music biz), and turned a lot of people on to the band, many of whom would buy earlier albums.

So what are your opinions on this topic? Do you despise post-eyeliner Green Day and long for the oldies about jerking off and coming out of the closet? Can you justify AI? Could you care less?
Quote by cloudy_skies
What is it about American Idiot that turned you off from the band? Did the political lyrics put you off? Did you dislike the change to a more stadium rock-oriented sound? Can you not stand the two 9 minute medleys? Do you think Green Day for any reason "sold out" on AI? Does the "punk rock opera" concept seem overly pretentious? Does "Wake Me Up When September Ends" make you go to sleep? Is the eyeliner really bugging you?

I am a Green Day fan myself, and though I will be the first to admit that AI is not their best album (that honor goes to either Dookie or Nimrod), I don't think it deserves all the flak that it gets. Production-wise, the sound is different, and "Wake Me Up..." could use some more words, but I found it to be a very solid album with a few classics. The change in sound and political lyrics is a bit startling if you've only listened to Dookie, but it was kind of necessary anyway. Like it or not, Green Day could not write 13 different versions of "Basket Case" and have a hit or truly evolve as a band. Besides that, the album made Green Day relevant again (at least in the music biz), and turned a lot of people on to the band, many of whom would buy earlier albums.

So what are your opinions on this topic? Do you despise post-eyeliner Green Day and long for the oldies about jerking off and coming out of the closet? Can you justify AI? Could you care less?

first of all, this is a douche thread.

second of all there's some fans who hate them for their image change, some who hate their sound change (like moi), and a lot of other reasons im sure. so don't assume everyone hates them for the same sell out reason.

third, and certainly not last, check it yo https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11137021#post11137021