-Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
-*Actually I need help with an amp* I want a half or full stack.
-Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros both neck and bridge
-Original Crybaby wah
-Metal Core MT-2 distortion

Is that good for a Rock setup? My playing is very similar to Slash's. I am a Rock guitarist who basically bases stuff off of blues scales. And I am currntly learning how to play like yngwie malmsteen.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Sounds awesome, man. Might want a better guitar though, if you're going for that amazing rig.

In my opinion I'd go with a fender twin reverb or deville, they are great for the kind of music you play. If you want to go for a bit heavier drive tone, I wouldn't. But for slash style stuff, thats a perfect rig.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
....you want a Metal Zone for Rock...and you play like Slash?

Er....goin in the wrong direction for that.

First get a JCM900, then the wah, then the guitar (hell, i can get a Slash tone out of a strat, so your guitar won't make too too much of a difference for now).

If you absolutely can't afford the 900, then get a Boss DS-1 (maybe get it modded by robert keeley). My DS-1 can handle most applications of rock, hard rock and metal (hell, i got a decent Dimmu tone out of it...doesn't help my amp sucks, so it was a pain in the ass to find)
Far better guitars in that price range...

What price range do you have for everything that you want?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
....you want a Metal Zone for Rock...and you play like Slash?

Er....goin in the wrong direction for that.

First get a JCM900, then the wah, then the guitar (hell, i can get a Slash tone out of a strat, so your guitar won't make too too much of a difference for now).

If you absolutely can't afford the 900, then get a Boss DS-1 (maybe get it modded by robert keeley). My DS-1 can handle most applications of rock, hard rock and metal (hell, i got a decent Dimmu tone out of it...doesn't help my amp sucks, so it was a pain in the ass to find)

You shouldn't rely on pedals for the mainstay of your distortion. In my opinion, for this style music, he should go with a fender tube, get a nice overdrive pedal, maybe analog (i know thats alot of money), and use half his distortion from the tube and half from his pedal. Its the most natural sounding distortion you'll ever get. Much better than the digital fuzz from the DS-1 anyday.

However, I agree the crybaby is nice. Good for slash.
-Jim Morrison
I like les pauls, and I don't really know too much about pedals, my cousin suggested the MT-2. But I will look into the Boss.
can someone tell me a good half stack amp to get that is cheap, looks cool, and is very reliable in a gig. and the difference between overdrive, and distortion.
You forgot the most important criterion for your amp:

That it sounds good!

What price range for the amp?

99% of the time you'll be better off with a tube combo than a crappy cheap half stack.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by What_is_my_name
can someone tell me a good half stack amp to get that is cheap, looks cool, and is very reliable in a gig. and the difference between overdrive, and distortion.

For classic tones I've always prefered fender. But I'm biased.

Heres the basic difference.

Distortion pedals take the line signal from your guitar and modify it to make distortion. They actually modify the signal.

An overdrive pedal takes the line signal from your guitar and boosts its intensity way up in voltage, way higher than your guitar could output normally, and it makes your amplifier's distortion shine. The pedal is making your amplifier distort your guitar, the pedal isn't doing it itself.

The reason I like the fender and overdrive pedal combination is because Fender tubes tend to sound fantastic and ballsy when played at concert levels on the clean channel...but when you combine the balls of the fender cleans with a kickass overdrive pushing the amp harder, you get a tone you could never get out of a solid state amp or pedal.

My 2 cents.

Edit: Hot Rod Deville amps are around 600USD
-Jim Morrison
Can someone tell me the amp too get? I ain't really good at this, and thanks for the explanation. and pedal for slash tone.
Do I need overdrive, or distortion for slash sounds?
Amp is a marshall MG10CD small piece. and my guitar and other stuff is about $700 so far, maybe about $500
Quote by What_is_my_name

You could go with either, I think. Slash plays so distorted that a bit of a digital fuzz instead of analog overdrive wouldn't sound bad.

Its your preference, man. Mess with a modern (not vintage!) Ibanez Tubescreamer for the OD. Be sure to turn it up high, It takes balls to make it scream, I've tried them. And try a Boss DS series, and see what you like.

When you try them, be sure to play them on the clean channel on the amp. I tried to play a distortion pedal through a tubes distortion channel when I was a noob. I feel like an idiot now.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by RG_FANMAN

yeah im sure.

i want proof.
Quote by What_is_my_name
Depends on the track. In Velvet Revolver, most tracks use light distortion rather than overdrive, with slightly cranked amps. Early GnR, he mostly just used his amp's own inherent overdrive, rather than any pedals. Later GnR, he used overdrive pedals on stage and on most of the recordings, and distortion pedals on a few tracks like Garden Of Eden and Locomotive.
Then there's a few exceptions. Don't Cry, for example, uses the amp's regular overdrive set low for most of the track, then there's an overdrive pedal that kicks in just before the solo, and the solo itself (and the outro lead segments) then has a distortion pedal on top. Izzy meanwhile, used the amp's overdrive, plus an overdrive pedal set very low, for the overdriven rhythm parts of that song (which actually is often the main part you're hearing distorted).

Anyway. Generally, you'll want to be able to get some drive just from your amp (not much! just a slight crunch, much like you get on the clean channels of old amps that have been played to death), then an overdrive pedal will be your best bet.

Personally, I have an Epi LP Custom amongst my guitars, fitted with Gibson Burstbucker #3 and #2, I use a Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive/distortion pedal (it can handle pretty much anything from the smallest crunch and fuzz to pretty full heavy metal distortion), and I play through a variety of Fender amps, with a home-made preamp (which I set to add just the smallest amount of gain to the signal), and I can get very damn close to Slash's earlier sound. Rather oddly, with a Gibson LP Classic that I've fitted with SD Alnico II Pros in both the neck and bridge, through the same pedal/amp set-up, it's actually a touch harder to replicate his early tone, but it's easier to get his later tone.