I'm using a Jay Turser Les Paul Custom, 2 Humbuckers, high Output, and the Amp is a Line 6 Spider II, And I'm having severe trouble getting pinch harmonics. Any Ideas?
the best way to do it, although its also the hardest, is to practice playing them WITHOUT distortion. if you can get those ****ers to squeal without distortion, they sound great when you add it. now obviously they dont sound the same, but you can def. tell when your doing it right. it's a distinct sound when you hit it right. when i was first learning to do them, i really concentrated on digging in hard on the strings to get used to hitting it with my thumb. now its like second nature and i hardly have to change my picking tech. to get them.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
pick with the blunt end of the pick, with your thumb pretty much on the end, and roll your hand when you want to do one, and bending the note helps too! (MAKE SURE YOURE ON THE HIGHEST GAIN HUMBUCKER AND GAIN SETTING ON YOUR AMP)
Quote by headfest88
practice playing them WITHOUT distortion.

there's your answer

along with lots of practice

...oh yeah, choke up on the pick so only the very tip is showing and don't be afraid to use lots of flesh
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
(MAKE SURE YOURE ON THE HIGHEST GAIN HUMBUCKER AND GAIN SETTING ON YOUR AMP)

That's not necessarily true. You can do them with no distortion, but a lot of gain does make a distinctive squeal.
make sure you have 1 pickup on.. like the switch is on one pickup, the bridge pickup is best for it, but I use my neck pickup as well (it sounds better) and it works just as well also, look up some videos on youtube on pinch harmonics, they teach pretty well, it's really simple once you get it.
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
thanks guys, its just something i have always had an issue with, that and sweeps...i suck at them
Yeah it will also make it easier to increase the treble while using the bridge pickup. And you have to find the "sweet spot" of each fret. Just try doing the pinch harmonics on different areas of the string, maybe further towards the neck pickup or more towards the bridge. It's easiest to start with the G string.
with the right pickups, and amp its alot easer to do them....but if your good you can play them on accustic as well!!!
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
you might be holding your pick wrong, i had to change how i held my pick in order to do pinch harmonics and now i can do pinch harmonics without even being plugged into an amp, i find Jazz 3 picks make it real easy to land pinches too.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I have been playing for about 10 months, I learned how to do this yesterday :p. On complete accident! I was playing to a comfortably numb backing track. And it just started happening over and over, and I was like oh wow this great. So I practiced what I was doing and now I have it almost perfect!

First I use a real thin pick, so maybe thats cheating, but whatever. Hold your pick like normal but put the edge of your thumb around 3-5 millimeters from the end of the pick. Then when you are over the strings, arch your wrist a little. Then pretty much attack that string, so that you can quickly push the string through the pick and your thumb. I would say your definitely at a slightly different angle. If your pick is usually at a 90 degree angle with the pick guard, then rotate it more towards your face. Not that that shouldn't happen when you arch your wrist.

Attack those strings and good luck! Hopefully I know what I am talking about!
I practiced them on the G and D strings first, that helped a lot. I can do them now without changing my picking technique.

Anyone know if it's possible to do tremolo picking, but all pinch harmonics? I can do them strumming down and up, think it would work?
Make sure your thumb touching the string after you've played it immediately, it may sound a bit patronising but people often make this mistake. Also if you're trying to do them on the low E string I find a bit of vibrato helps, not with the bar BTW. Oh yeah use the bridge pickup of course also, and turn your treble up.
i also find that the newer the strings on the guitar the easyer it is to do them
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
i find it easier to get them to sound if i use vibrato as well.
ibanez rg 270

spider III 210
Quote by GibsonVdude
i also find that the newer the strings on the guitar the easyer it is to do them

I have to disagree. I'm not the best at pinches, but I still got em down. I think on newer strings, the twangy"ness" of the string kinda gets in the way of the pinch itself, making it hard to hear the pinch/making the oblivious player think he's doing something wrong and break down crying.

So yeah, I think the more worn out (not like totally destroyed strings, just when the twang is gone) strings, the better the pinches will sound/the clearer they will be.

Good luck!
Quote by DreamFactory
I have to disagree. I'm not the best at pinches, but I still got em down. I think on newer strings, the twangy"ness" of the string kinda gets in the way of the pinch itself, making it hard to hear the pinch/making the oblivious player think he's doing something wrong and break down crying.

So yeah, I think the more worn out (not like totally destroyed strings, just when the twang is gone) strings, the better the pinches will sound/the clearer they will be.

Good luck!

You have somewhat of a point... i just think it depends on the type of strings as well
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.