Hey everyone, I read the rules for posting in this forum so I hope this doesn't fall out of those..

I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio which I play on a Crate GT212 amp. I've been playing for about 8 months, and am ready to move up to another guitar. I play a lot of stuff like Lamb of God, some Unearth when I can find 6 string tabs, DevilDriver, Slayer, etc. Basically, I play with a lot of distortion and try to sound as metal as possible.

I'm wondering what some of the more experienced players would recommend. I'm willing to spend between $500-$850. I really want active pickups, looking at EMG 81 in the bridge at the least - neck isn't so important to me(could even go without a neck at all). I could also get set of the Seymour Duncan Blackouts for fairly cheap, too if that made a big difference. Secondly, I really, really need a Floyd Rose or other Tremolo bridge. That is a big requirement for me, I need it to lock. I don't have a major body style preference, and the features and playability are more important than looks.

Amplifier recommendations would be great, considering the Marshall I was gonna buy is supposedly crap. I could pay between $500-$800 for an Amp as well.

Please let me know what models some of you would suggest that would suffice. I'm from the US, so if a guitar is only available in Europe, that won't help =(. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by rwalby9 at Oct 20, 2007,
Holy **** don't buy your friend's amp.

You'll thank me .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Is it bad? The Crate amp I have already gives me a bunch of noise when I turn it up past 3 or so on the solo channel, its a real pain.
Quote by FacingUsAll

You'll thank me .

+2432 for truth
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
It's quite possibly worse than the amp you have now.

As for a guitar...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll

You'll thank me .

As for a guitar...

+100

Your crate is nice. The MG is a downgrade.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
+100

Your crate is nice. The MG is a downgrade.

I can assure you that Crate sucks, lol...
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
just get the Zakk Wylde les paul, its like 700, cant go wrong with a metal icon...

Except that guitar is way overpriced, has ****ty pickups, and doesn't have a trem...
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by T!AN
I can assure you that Crate sucks, lol...

I can assure you that the MG sucks more lolz
-Jim Morrison
Quote by FacingUsAll
It's quite possibly worse than the amp you have now.

As for a guitar...

I may stick with the Crate then, thanks for the feedback on that.

Facing, I've looked at that Schecter and its probably at the top of my list right now. Its affordable and it meets all of my needs. Looks pretty sweet, too.

I'm just seeing what else is out there

Yeah, I already have an Epi Les Paul. I really need a Floyd Rose, though. And for $800 bucks, I want actives, not HZs.
Quote by rwalby9
I may stick with the Crate then, thanks for the feedback on that.

Facing, I've looked at that Schecter and its probably at the top of my list right now. Its affordable and it meets all of my needs. Looks pretty sweet, too.

I'm just seeing what else is out there

Yeah, I already have an Epi Les Paul. I really need a Floyd Rose, though. And for $800 bucks, I want actives, not HZs.

Hell yeah man, Schecters are awesome. Feel great too.
-Jim Morrison
ESP LTD MH-400.

It's got an LFR though, which can often be a crapshoot...

Another thing to think about is that EMGs might not sound much better (and could possibly sound worse) through your amp than your stock pickups.

In which case, you could get a cheap guitar with a good double locking trem (Floyd Rose DSOT-2 being probably the best), throw in some EMGs, and spend the rest on a good amp.
Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 20, 2007,
the marshall mg is one of the most least metal amps in my opinion.
The Conservative youth of America!
Dude. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134
Get it. Only Metal guitar you will ever need. Active EMG 81/85 pickups, original Floyd Rose Tremelo (there's also a version without the trem, if you want a hardtail, but believe me the floyd rose stays in tune as if it were a hard tail -http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Hellraiser-Electric-Guitar?sku=513105)
Nutlocks to help keep it in tune even better (the non-trem version doesn't have them), grover tuners, 24 frets, 25 1/2" scale, great for down-tuning, this thing is a metal beast. I've had one for about a month now, and I keep it tuned between DGCFAD and CGCFAD, playing through one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796
and it is astounding. Easily the best metal guitar you will find anywhere for under $1000.
Quote by hardrock1315
Keep your amp, it's definitely better than that Marshall.

Either get the Schecter or get an ESP LTD MH-400:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684

After what everyone said, I probably will XD.
I haven't seen that MH-400, but it looks good. I'll look into it, thanks.
As for that Ibanez, thats another thing I'll look into as well.

bi99, that Schecter is really nice, you are the 3rd person to say it. It very well may be what I'm looking for . As for the stack, that might be a good idea as well.
Last edited by rwalby9 at Oct 20, 2007,
Keep in mind any Solid State sounds bad when you start to crank it. If thats the Crate I'm thinking of, they have a threshold of going from quiet and decent sounding to loud and horrible. Look into a decent used tube amp if you're gigging or jamming or a Vox ADVT series for practice. As for a guitar, check out the Jackson DKMG. EMGs, 24 frets, carved top, MIJ, and a nice licensed trem.
Quote by CJRocker
Keep in mind any Solid State sounds bad when you start to crank it. If thats the Crate I'm thinking of, they have a threshold of going from quiet and decent sounding to loud and horrible. Look into a decent used tube amp if you're gigging or jamming or a Vox ADVT series for practice. As for a guitar, check out the Jackson DKMG. EMGs, 24 frets, carved top, MIJ, and a nice licensed trem.

I know nothing about tube amps, but the reason I'm looking into a more powerful amp is so I can play live.

I've played Jacksons before and that one does look very nice, I've never seen it before. I'll see if there is one to play at GC soon.
Quote by rwalby9
I know nothing about tube amps, but the reason I'm looking into a more powerful amp is so I can play live.

I've played Jacksons before and that one does look very nice, I've never seen it before. I'll see if there is one to play at GC soon.

In that case.

Tube amps sound empty and dark when quiet, but amazing when cranked. No solid state can perform like a tube can at high levels.

Solid state amps sound great when quiet, but when cranked, their signal loses quality.

Get a tube.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by rwalby9
After what everyone said, I probably will XD.
I haven't seen that MH-400, but it looks good. I'll look into it, thanks.
As for that Ibanez, thats another thing I'll look into as well.

bi99, that Schecter is really nice, you are the 3rd person to say it. It very well may be what I'm looking for . As for the stack, that might be a good idea as well.

Definitely. A friend of mine played my Hellraiser the day I got it, and immediately compared it to his $3000 custom Carvin. Then he came about || that close to sh!tting himself after I told him that I paid $1000 even for it (with a strap, hard-case, new strings, tune-up, polish, and like 10 picks).
Quote by rwalby9

No, no, no for the Crate stack. It's the exact same thing as what you have now, but in half stack form (which isn't that good to begin with). There is no such thing as a good cheap half stack, and that one definitely isn't an exception.
Quote by the_bi99man
Definitely. A friend of mine played my Hellraiser the day I got it, and immediately compared it to his $3000 custom Carvin. Then he came about || that close to sh!tting himself after I told him that I paid $1000 even for it (with a strap, hard-case, new strings, tune-up, polish, and like 10 picks).

HAHA. If the Hellraiser is as good as a $3000 Carvin (which I should mention, few if any Carvins approach that Price). Everyone would own one instead of their high end ESP, Ibanez or Jackson. Hellraisers are nice, but they don't hold a candle to anything much over $1200.
Quote by T!AN
No, no, no for the Crate stack. It's the exact same thing as what you have now, but in half stack form (which isn't that good to begin with). There is no such thing as a good cheap half stack, and that one definitely isn't an exception.

I would probably want to play it first, and I wouldn't expect much from a $400 stack.

It looks like I'll either be going with the Hellraiser FR or the Jackson DKMG.

If I could drop the same amount on a tube amp or a stack, what'd be my best bet?
Someone is gonna say a used 5150; might as well be me.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by CJRocker
HAHA. If the Hellraiser is as good as a $3000 Carvin (which I should mention, few if any Carvins approach that Price). Everyone would own one instead of their high end ESP, Ibanez or Jackson. Hellraisers are nice, but they don't hold a candle to anything much over $1200.

I didn't think it would either, but this is my friend's Carvin: http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT6M
They have the factory direct price at $1450, but the list price is $3600, and his uncle bought it a few years ago for about $3000, and the Hellraiser sounds just as good, if not better, depending on what you're playing (and who's playing it, of course).
The amp's pretty much settled. I'd go with an ESP M or MH 400 and up, or JH-600. If you don't mind a thicker neck, then a Shecter C-1 FR will kick ass as well. If you want a thinner neck, check the Ibanez S series or RG Prestige guitars...keep in mind that you'll more than likely need to factor in a pickup change.
Im in the same position, looking for a guitar of that price range for metal, I was thinking of the Ibanez RG1570 more recommendations please!
Quote by e32lover
Im in the same position, looking for a guitar of that price range for metal, I was thinking of the Ibanez RG1570 more recommendations please!

I've already reccomended it several times to just about everyone who asks, but I will again. Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser. The single best metal guitar under $1000. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134
And don't let the lack of pics fool you. The black one does have the pearly outline that you see on the red one, it's just more around the edge than right up on the face. I have the black one.
Peavey Winds0r is the Metalz0r!
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I recently bought an ESP LTD Ec-500 its the sweetest thing I've ever played its really great for metal. Only thing is that it doesnt have a tremolo or floyd rose or anything. Sweet guitar though
Ibanez RG350DX - ESP LTD EC-500

Peavey JSX 212 Combo - Digitech RP 250
If I was more open to pickups, would the Jackson RR3 Rhoads Pro suffice? JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck.
you can get a used ESP JH-600 from MF(normally $950, if you dont mind a possible scratch or two on the guitar): Jeff Hanneman Signature
the good thing about MF is you can always return stuff too.

but i have also been looking for a new guitar with a floyd rose to suit my metal playing needs, and i played the jackson dkmg with the FR and the hellraiser FR, and the hellraiser was much better. it has a set neck, but it feels and even looks like a neck thru. i dont know how they did it. im getting mine soon