Depends on budget, music style and what you need the amp for I think.
For normal bedroom practice the Vox Valvetronix series modeling amp is a good overall amp. It's is hybrid but it's basically a solid state with some sort of tube technology I think.

I heard the Roland Cube amps are also fairly good.

And the Roland Jazz Chorus I think is a good one but I have no experiance with it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
What type of music?

I love me a Roland Jazz Chorus.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Roland Jazz Chorus, absolutely.

They're great for playing jazz and light blues with, my school uses 'em.
Tricky one.

I was impressed by the Vox Valvetronix, though I think the Peavey TransTube are great workhorse amps.
There aren't many high end tranny amps, though for metalheads Randall make excellent stuff, and for clean/jazz tones the roland Jazz Chorus is fantastic.

But for rock and blues music....valves win every time!
High end Randall's for metal.
Roland Jazz Chorus for clean stuff/jazz.
Line 6 Vetta 2/HD147 for whatever.
Crate Shockwave for metal.
Ampeg whatever, the amp the Crate Shockwave was modeled after is sick too for high-gain.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Whats your price range. The Line 6 Vetta II is amazing. The HD147 is a completely different amp. The Jazz Chorus are nice for clean and very mild distortion, but are a bit sterile sounding and do not take OD pedals well at all. That is to be expected though.
The kings of solid state are the Roland Jazz Chorus and Peavey Transtubes. I prefer the Peaveys for their more tube-like sound, but the clean sparkling chorus of the Roland are beautiful.
I tried a Pritchard amp a few weeks ago, very dynamic, great cleans. OD was very sweet sounding, but price tag wasn't.

I'd say the most fun SS amp would be a flextone. Great price as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Lol, another +1 for the Jazz chorus, i owned one for some time... then times got hard and had to sell her......*tear*
Quote by kyle62
There aren't many high end tranny...

Have you tried New Orleans or South America??

Kidding...I couldn't resist...

Chris