Well, I am possibly getting a new amp in a few months or so, and I wanted to think of a few choices. My budget will be around $300, but I might be able to save up a hundred or two, so I might be able to afford $500.

I play mostly metal, rock, and blues. I currently have a MG, so I figure just about anything is an upgrade to it. I play mostly in my bedroom, but I might go out in the garage every now and then, but nothing that big. I was thinking maybe a Valvetronix, either 30 or 50, or maybe a Roland Cube 30X or 60. I play a Ibanez GRX20, and the less I spend, hopefully I could put that towards a new guitar as well; but at the moment, I figured an amp would be better.
for that price i dont know of any good amps. some decent ones off the top of my head is the ibanez toneblaster series or crate or line six. they all suck for the most part but all would be better than the mg and can be used for your type of music.
used classic 30
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Are you planning on gigging anytime soon? If not, pick up a little 5W valve combo. It'll sound a thousand times bettter than a Line 6 or an MG! Maybe not ideal for metal, but amazing for rock and blues.
If you look into used valve combos you can easily pick up a decent gigging amp on your budget.
I'm not planning on gigging, maybe something in a talent show at school, but I'm sure I can just hook my amp to the PA system. So, yeah, I don't need it to be that strong.
well since your not giging then ^+1

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Alright then, then does a Roland Cube 60 sound good? I'm willing to buy a used one of course, too, so any other suggestions?
with that kinda money to spend and your smaller needs, i think a 5watt tube combo would be a giant step up from the mg. and to a lesser extent better than the modellers.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825
does great cleans, blues, classic and hard rock all on it's own. would need a heavy OD pedal/metal muff-type pedal for metal though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ +1 too.

ahhh

now the decision...

SS or tube.

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Iceman 420
How good is a Roland Cube 60 for blues/rock, and vice-versa for the Vox?

Each respectively would do decently while playing the other's strong genre.
Quote by ssguitar
^ +1 too.

ahhh

now the decision...

SS or tube.

haha exactly. not to be a snob, but MG to AD/cube is like taking baby steps. why do that when you could have sweet tone for cheap?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

i think the V8's tone is amazing, the only thing i dont like is the lack of reverb. it kills me. i was playing one today (my ex's as always) and i realized it didnt sound as full because of the lack of reverb.

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
ah i forgot about that.. all the others have pretty decent reverb though. nothin a little holy grail couldn't fix hahah.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^ yea...oh ballz i just checked the price on them...$120. didnt they used to be <$100? EBAY here i come

EDIT: oh yea i like ebays prices better 80-90 + shipping

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Check out meow Peavey Windsor Studio when it comes out meow.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
For approx. $300, you might want to try a Epiphone Valve Standard. It's a 15 watt, all tube amp with 3 band EQ, DSP effects, including a seperate reverb.

Admittedly the built in DSP effects aren't all that great, but that can be overcome by getting seperate pedals (which aren't a stretch to get if you were planning on possibly spending $500 anyway). It's got decent cleans, and can be pushed without pedals to the vicinity of hard rock. Your choice of pedal would easily push it to metal. Got one myself just recently and it's quickly become my main practice amp.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^^ good choice. you'll be happy if you go through with that.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Alright, well, it looks like I'll be getting that, and have some money left over. I was thinking of maybe getting a distortion pedal or something, and I was wondering what would be a good one. For the metal I play, I want something for Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, but also early Metallica, Slayer, stuff like that.
go with an overdrive pedal, and maybe a distortion pedal if you really need it later. an overdrive is basically a necessity for most tube amps.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Alright then, I was bit confused on the whole difference between overdrive and distortion. Anyways, what's a good overdrive pedal? I don't want it to be that expensive, I'd like to have to have a bit of money left over if anything comes up.
hm... i'm not too savvy on od pedals yet, as i've only played a handful.

look into ibanez tubescreamers, or maxon od-9 or 808. uhm... a boss blues driver gets pretty gainy for an overdrive pedal. a visual sound jekyl & hyde has both overdrive and distortion in one enclosure, but that's a bit more expensive.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

they're basically the same exact thing except for one or two little components. one being an (IC?) chip and the other difference is just a different resistor value.

if you can mod, the ts-9 just needs those two little changes and you could have the more 'authentic' reissue of the original tubescreamer, and it'll save a lot of money ha.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.