First off I am a noob to this site, but not to technical forums, and as such have already used the "search" button

I am going to put a 57 classic plus in the bridge position of my les paul copy guitar, and a PRS HFS at the bridge. I have been doing some research on coil splitting, but am dissapointed to find out that the 57 classics have only 2 wires. I know that conventional coil splitting requires 4 wires coming out of the pu, but is their any way to do a coil split by finding the wiring inside the humbucker that joins the 2 coils? I am familiar with soldering sensitive electronics such as circuit boards, strain gages, etc... I just need to know if the pu can be "broken into" for adding the extra wires to do the split andwhat to look for. (the pickups are in the mail) if so I imagine I would have to re-pot it.

BTW are humbuckers in wired in series or parallel or both and what difference in sound does it produce?

Thanks
STELLAR Les Paul copy
soon to have:
PRS HFS P/U in bridge position
Gibson 57 Classic In neck Position

Old Sigma (Martin) Acoustic

Marshall Valvestate 265
Crate 60W Acoustic amp
Zoom Acoustic Effects Pedal
I read the Gibson website, the stock pickups (aka pickups found in the guitars that feature these pickups) have only 2 coils. However, to the best of my knowledge, retail version of the same pickups are all 4 coils. I.E. Tony Iommi's signature PUs on his signature SG have only 2 coils while the retail version has 4.
Humbuckers are wired in series. This gives them a thicker sound, parrallel would make them sound like two strat pickups selected at the same time.

To wire the pickups to split, you will need to find the little wire which connects the two coils. You'll want to solder a wire to that little connecting wire, giving the pickup three wires. This third wire will be the one you will ground to produce a coil split.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yea Tony Iommi's is originally a 2 wire but is now sold as a 4 wire, unfortunately the gibson wiring diagram shows that the 57's are still a 2 wire (the diagram also shows tony's "new" 4 wire humbucker)

so I make it a 3 wire p/u by adding a ground between the coils. and it looks like this (->>> denotes ground) so i would be using the coil in the left. how do i know which pu will be better (the gibson diagram says that the ground wire is the sheath that surrounds the hot wire. if I were to momentarily reverse the polarity (while in "quasi single coil mode") then I would be using the pu on the right. Is there any problems with doing this, other than I would need to switch the polarity back for humbucker mode (this is where a push pole pot could come in?)

+----^-^-^-^-^-^--|--^-^-^-^-^-^---->>>
<<<---------------

if I were to cut that wire and bring 2 leads off it, it then would be a 4 wire pu, right? could i then use a push/pull pot to get the configuration that sounded best? I have never seen a push/pull pot, so I'm not sure what capabilities it has. Thanks for the help so far!!!
STELLAR Les Paul copy
soon to have:

Marshall Valvestate 265
Crate 60W Acoustic amp
look at the wiring diagrams at the bottom.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_diagrams.html

I think I could get the parallel-in-phase setup with a push pull pot, they are dpdt right? or I could ground out the second coil (as Will_Minus explained) to get a more true single coil sound. any opinions???
STELLAR Les Paul copy
soon to have:

Marshall Valvestate 265
Crate 60W Acoustic amp