Hi I am learning guitar. I play saxophone and know music theory well. I am looking for a book on guitar to use for independent study. I want to learn everything, particularly technique and build up my chops. I saw these 2 books/series that were reviewed well on amazon.com

A Modern Method for Guitar - Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete

and

Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition: Books & CD's 1, 2 and 3

I am leaning towards the first. Can anyone provide input or popular textbooks for the SERIOUS student?
Last edited by greaserbeef at Oct 21, 2007,
i'd actually go for the second. modern method does a lot of stuff based off standard notation, and for guitar, it's a lot easier to learn with tablature.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
i know hal leonard makes great stuff, but ive never used either of those
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
another great book might i add is the "compleat idiots guide to" music theory and the other one is music composition
Guitars for Dummies looks like a great book. Yes, its real.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Can any guitar instructors or students recommend what they use? I am pretty serious, and these books "for dummies" and "complete idiots" sound a little too entry level to me. Books with standard notation is also important to me.
Quote by greaserbeef
Can any guitar instructors or students recommend what they use? I am pretty serious, and these books "for dummies" and "complete idiots" sound a little too entry level to me. Books with standard notation is also important to me.

I can't speak for the "Complete Idiots" but I really like the "For Dummies" book. But be aware that the "For Dummies" book works really hard at not being a "how to read music" manual. There are plenty of advanced techiniques towards the middle of the book. I like the Hal Leonard books as well, and they are very focused on standard notation. But the "For Dummies" book gets into advanced technique faster.
Try Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar and DEFINITELY John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. RD is everything you'll ever need.
"for dummies" isn't a beginner thing, it's just trying to put it in the most simplistic way they can so it's easier to understand
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Danno13
RD is everything you'll ever need.

Hmm, really?

I didn't really find it that helpful, but there you go, the warm ups were good though.

If it's building your chops you're after, i'd give Shred Guitar Manifesto a look, it's a lot more difficult than the rest, but it's explained in so much more detail.
Guys, seriously, you're gonna laugh and whatnot, but Alfred basic guitar method FTW, i know know its all the mary had a little lamb crap, but it gets the job done, by the end of the 6th book i was good and master most techniques (bending, sliding, tremolo and whatnot.) but obviously be sure to learn stuff on the side so you learn other stuff like artificial and natural harmonics, tapping cause those dont cover it. but anyways thats my view on it. they throw all scenarios at you, by the time you finish, you'll be sight reading god.

peace