How will learning notes do what? Can you specify?

It will help a lot, you'll know how to tune the guitar, find relations to notes and be able to make music.
Of course just knowing note names won't help a lot, but most of the time with it you learn theory and can relate these notes to from scales and chords.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 21, 2007,
How will it help you be a better guitarist?

Err duh,
in composition, in jamming, in soloing in everything

its like, a painter who doesn't know what colour fuschia is
Henza x.. what colour is fuschia?

Now.. to add something to this thread.
I am currently trying to learn the note names. I think with improvising knowing note names will help me, although I have had experience learning clarinet and piano so note names might not help you improvise. Knowing enough to find a note in a few seconds would be very helpful, like if you are told something is in A major, it would be useful to know where A is.
Able to find what key songs are in, makes it easier to tune a guitar by ear, etc...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
^not too necessary, if it sounds cool, then it is cool. i mean, if it sounds cool, then who cares if it's like... right notes? there are some kick ass riffs out there that don't follow common music theory.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It's important if you're a bass player, or if your jamming with an incompetent bass player and you have to tell him what bass note to hit with what chords you're strumming.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Not knowing the notes on the fretboard is like henza said, like a painter not knowing what the names of the colors he uses are.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by myearshurt
is it necessary to learn it if i want to 'properly' write riffs (instead of using trial and error)

you could put it that way... but either way you put it, sooner or later you'll come to understand that you need notes... i mean - there are a lot of musicians out there who, when started knew **** about notes,but now know their stuff... so, to sum up, it won't hurt you it'll help you...you'll be able to recognize songs in a way you're not able now...you'll hear yourself saying: "Hey that's in A minor" or stuff like that...
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
an example of how knowing the notes if good is if you feel like putting some arpeggios in the song, if you dont know where the notes are for the chord your playing over you cant get anywhere,
And in general it allows you to be "more musical" then just simply learning a scale pattern and such like cause you can tel ll how each note relates to the other etc etc rather than simply speeding through a pattern repeating licks and such :p
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
How does learning the alphabet help you learn english?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I didn't really read the replies so forgive me if this has been mentioned. By learning the notes on the fretboard, unless you're Beethoven talented you will be able to play along in key with whatever music is going on around rather than senseless babble. Sure you may play senseless babble when your fingers hit the notes, but at least it will be babble in key!