Once again the pit has been subjected to some lovely pr0n courtesy of some bored douche with way to much time on his hands. Crap like this ruins countless threads, and mods aren't on 24/7 to delete everything. So, how should we go around combating this? Ideas?

I personally think that we should have a youtube-style thumbs up/thumbs down type thing on every post. If the post goes against site rules, users can press the 'thumbs-down' option. For every 5 (or whatever) thumbs down, the post is automatically blocked. If a user gets 5 (or whatever) posts blocked in a day, then they are given an automatic 24 hour ban, and a longer one depending on mod discretion. If somebody is abusing the system, it should be pretty easy to deal with them.

An automatic blocking method would pretty much end most of the problems from spammers, and ease up the mods' job so they don't have to spend all their time on UG cleaning up pointless threads.

that's just my idea.

Share your ideas, maybe we can get something positive out of this.
If that was true, people who like Green Day would get banned every time they post.

EDIT: To TS
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I think the only thing we can really do as ordinary users is to either report the fuckers or destroy their dignity.

Or both...
Ben
or when something is reported, it could be deleted automatically, and the mods check it later. and if someone was reporting a comment when it wasn't breaking any rules, that person could get a warning/ban.
sup?
Well that's confusing because if something is kinda on the borderline of being unacceptable, what do you do? There's a fine line between stupid and clever....
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192
Well that's confusing because if something is kinda on the borderline of being unacceptable, what do you do? There's a fine line between stupid and clever....

be generous if its on the borderline. IMO i think its a bit strict...
sup?
The problem with the thumbs up thumbs down thing is that lame asshats would just put a thumbsdown to certain threads just for fun, or if it offended them or something....

the only real way to do it is by having mods.
I think that's actually a pretty good idea.

Only problem is all of the people thumbs-downing others just because they don't like them...I think that'd get too out of control to be feasible.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
well it could be a rule " Thumbs down only for pr0n, spam, and ads " and anyone that abuses that could get the warning/ban.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Quote by Leper Affinity
well it could be a rule " Thumbs down only for pr0n, spam, and ads " and anyone that abuses that could get the warning/ban.

But how would anyone (or any automated system) know who's abusing it but the mods?
Quote by Jackintehbox
But how would anyone (or any automated system) know who's abusing it but the mods?

people give a thumbs up or a thumbs down

5 thumbs down for a thread and it is closed. An automated message will be sent to the mod/s of that forum along with the usernames who gave the thumbs down.

If the thread was abusive the poster gets a warning/ban

if the thread was not abusive the people that gave the thumbs down get a warning

if they do it ( or any other disorderly conduct ) they get a ban or whatever the mod/s think would be the proper punishment.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by killthekingx

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by Leper Affinity
people give a thumbs up or a thumbs down

5 thumbs down for a thread and it is closed. An automated message will be sent to the mod/s of that forum along with the usernames who gave the thumbs down.

If the thread was abusive the poster gets a warning/ban

if the thread was not abusive the people that gave the thumbs down get a warning

if they do it ( or any other disorderly conduct ) they get a ban or whatever the mod/s think would be the proper punishment.

But I thought the whole idea of this was to not involve the mods.
One solution is... Control Panel > Edit Options > Show Images [Unchecked]

The thumbs up/down thing has been rejected before because it would be abused.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by Jackintehbox
But I thought the whole idea of this was to not involve the mods.

the idea is to deal with spam/pr0n/etc. when mods are not available.

or at least that is what I got from the idea
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by killthekingx

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by Leper Affinity
the idea is to deal with spam/pr0n/etc. when mods are not available.

or at least that is what I got from the idea

Ah yes, I think I see the point now.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
One solution is... Control Panel > Edit Options > Show Images [Unchecked]

The thumbs up/down thing has been rejected before because it would be abused.

Doing that, though, we'd miss out on some serious "lulz," so to speak.

Some pictures are just hilarious and appropriate, they're hilariously appropriate, but others are just disgusting.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Thumbs up, thumbs down would be retarded. It'd turn into youtube, where any reasonable comment will be thumbs down'd if the majority of people don't agree with it.
Quote by Maxx_Pouwer
Thumbs up, thumbs down would be retarded. It'd turn into youtube, where any reasonable comment will be thumbs down'd if the majority of people don't agree with it.

I explained it a few posts ago

there are checks and balances

all threads/posts that get like 5 thumbs down are later reviewed by mods at appropriate times

those that were right to be shut down will stay shut down with the poster/threadstarter being dealt with

if non-abusive posts/threads get closed by it, those that did the thumbs down will be dealt with

and there can probably be more specifications as well, like " if you post more than 3 thumbs down/receive more than 3 closed posts/threads in a day, your account will be locked until further review " etc.

it all sounds like a lot, but I can see this becoming a very simple system that would give the users more responsibility/freedoms which can be taken away when needed.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by killthekingx

Quote by beckyjc
Control everything.

-No posting pictures that are not from sites that have been verified to be ok (this could finally eliminate dumb memes as well). For pictures from photobucket or a similar site the thread starter could provide a link rather than a full picture.

-No posting more than two threads per week. Or even better you have to have contributed three tabs, reviews or other material to the site before being allowed to start threads.

-For certain offences permanent ip banning immediately, none of this 60 day banning horse shit.

-When a thread has been reported over ten times thread starters posts are hidden. Harsh penalties for reporting threads that don't need to be closed immediately ( )
Quote by macho man
Control everything.

-No posting pictures that are not from sites that have been verified to be ok (this could finally eliminate dumb memes as well). For pictures from photobucket or a similar site the thread starter could provide a link rather than a full picture.

-No posting more than two threads per week. Or even better you have to have contributed three tabs, reviews or other material to the site before being allowed to start threads.

-For certain offences permanent ip banning immediately, none of this 60 day banning horse shit.

-When a thread has been reported over ten times thread starters posts are hidden. Harsh penalties for reporting threads that don't need to be closed immediately ( )

Too many rules make the pit a boring place.
Quote by macho man
Control everything.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Too many rules make the pit a boring place.

pretty sure it was just sarcasm
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by killthekingx

Quote by beckyjc
Quote by macho man
Control everything.

Then what happens to the average pitgoer who has barely mastered SOTW? Their thoughts don't count? And what would happen to the "You Laugh, You Lose" thread?
Though, I do like the last one.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Quote by HawkaLuigi
You could always just ignore it.

+1
i look down at my hands,
like they were mirrors.
does anyone think it would be cool to having something like "citizen's arrest" but that certain people could be like undercover kind of mods and ban people for a short amount of time until an actual mod can get to it?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
These things have been suggested many times over. Years ago.

There aren't that many times when a pit mod or smod/admin is not on. Sure, they have lives, but that "attack" lasted what, an hour or two? Big deal.

-SD
^Yep.

And, just ignore it.

Also, I agree with what Pan-Tallica said: just adjust your options so that images don't show up. So you have to click a link to view an image? It's not that difficult...