I'm not exactly sure about all the scale length business, but I have a sort of general question about it, in relation to guitar bodies with bolt on necks. I don't really know if a guitar is 'made' for a certain kind of neck. So if you have a guitar body and it was 'made' for a 22 fret neck, but you put a 24 fret neck on it, would it mess up the scale length, possibly the tone? Are the guitar necks (22 fret vs 24) a different size? I'm not really sure how all this works.

To make it more simple:

Guitar X was made with a 25.5" scale with a 22 fret neck. Guitar X is replaced with a 24 fret neck. What potentially happens?

Thanks in advance.
scale length has nothing to do with how many frets on your guitar. the scale length is simply the distance from the nut to the bridge.

you could have 36 frets on a 24.75" scale. you could have 36 frets on a 25.5" scale. the smaller scale will have smaller frets, but that's about the only difference.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
It would completely mess up intonation. 24 fret guitars have their bridge further backwards on the body than 22 fretters.
The two extra frets would have to extend over the body (or the neck pocket would have to be modified), since all the other frets have to remain in the same place.
Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge saddle. It doesn't have anything to do with number of frets, but it does affect their size.
The 12th fret will have to be at exactly half the scale length away from the nut.

Anyway, for your question, its totally possible to do that, but youd have to modify the neck for a little overhang on thelast two frets. i.e. the 22nd fret on both should be at exactly the same distance from the bridge
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I suppose what I was asking was, if the 24 fret neck changed the scale length of the guitar. The open string would be tuned correctly, but wouldn't each fret sequentially be more and more off to what its supposed to be tuned to? But thanks, I believe you guys answered my question.
^ Depending on what scale the 24 fret neck was built for, yes.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yeah I found out first hand a 24 fret neck on an originally 21/22 fret guitar won't work. Also any old 22 fret neck may not work on a 22 fret guitar body either. I have an SG that had the scale length for 24.75 but the neck on it was for a 25.5. Weird, huh. So scale lengths have to match up correctly or your intonation will be un-repairable screwed unless you want to cut/drill up your guitar.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
well i tried putting a 24 fret on a 22fret guitar and the scale ends up at about 26" and trimming the half an inch of doesnt work, just messes up how the neck rests in the pocket. so i wouldnt advise it, and thats just my experience
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
well i tried putting a 24 fret on a 22fret guitar and the scale ends up at about 26" and trimming the half an inch of doesnt work, just messes up how the neck rests in the pocket. so i wouldnt advise it, and thats just my experience

it's because you put a guitar neck on your guitar that wasn't designed for it. you can't just go around putting random necks on your guitar. it's like putting a jackson neck on a strat - they're not going to work. bodies made to support the necks that the same company makes.

with that said, an ibanez 24 fret neck is probably made to be inserted closer to the bridge, whereas a 20 fret telecaster neck is made to be inserted further away.

that's why you got a 26" scale. you HAVE to match up the correct necks with the correct bodies.
gear?

Quote by decadence5423
I suppose what I was asking was, if the 24 fret neck changed the scale length of the guitar. The open string would be tuned correctly, but wouldn't each fret sequentially be more and more off to what its supposed to be tuned to? But thanks, I believe you guys answered my question.

no, a neck with more frets does NOT change the scale length of the guitar, unless you put an incompatible neck on the body.

like i said on the last post on this thread, a jackson or ibanez neck is NOT going to work on a fender strat. and neck and body copies are going to be even less reliable.
gear?

Quote by DougC84
it's because you put a guitar neck on your guitar that wasn't designed for it. you can't just go around putting random necks on your guitar. it's like putting a jackson neck on a strat - they're not going to work. bodies made to support the necks that the same company makes.

with that said, an ibanez 24 fret neck is probably made to be inserted closer to the bridge, whereas a 20 fret telecaster neck is made to be inserted further away.

that's why you got a 26" scale. you HAVE to match up the correct necks with the correct bodies.

yes i know the neck was wrong mate, i bought the body after i bought the neck, and the neck was origionaly on theRG body i made.
so now i realise i need a 22fretter which i plan on building soon
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT