My laptop is 1 month a 2 weeks old. It started crashing recently which is really surprising because my PC is new. It is a vista model. The crash started when i accidentally tried converting youtube videos to add to my new ipod classic. i went to the website mediaconverter.org (or com. i'm not sure) and then i downloaded the videos. i click the the 3rd video i downloaded so i can play it on quicktime. suddenly a pop up came on and said that the file contains a certain bug, which i ignored at first. a few minutes later my computer crashed. after this event i never downloaded from mediaconverter again. but even though i don't go there, my computer crashes every now and then when i open itunes. i can't open quicktime though. i tried to explain it as much as i possibly can. i'm desperate for help. i'm sick of dealing with it. i tried restoring my computer to the time before the crash occured but it didn't work. help me!!
::type
Are you sure you want to fix it?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
sounds like a virus, download avast from download.com install it and run a virus scan, that's the best solution i can think of, if the problem persists then i'm sure someone else can give you a better solution
PSN id: SeniorSausage
Quote by ripewithdecay
sounds like a virus, download avast from download.com install it and run a virus scan, that's the best solution i can think of, if the problem persists then i'm sure someone else can give you a better solution

Ditto.

I dont know what to tell you but its most likely a virus.
The likely explanation is that you downloaded a 'virus'.

I should explain though. When you get a virus through something like iTunes, you have downloaded a file that exploits a vulnerability in the application (iTunes in this case), so it takes advantage of a security flaw in the code. When you open that file in the vulnerable application, the vulnerability is exploited and an executable is downloaded and run on your system (the virus). A good portion of the time, crashes like what you are referring to are a result of an exploit attempt (although not always). You are a little bit better off with Vista in this case since it is the first variant of Windows to implement ASLR, which prevents exploitation of vulnerabilities like this one (however it isn't 100% effective, plus the application will still crash regardless).

So the reason that iTunes keeps crashing is that you probably have the exploit on a playlist or something similar, so when you open the application, it exploits it over again. Your best bet is to wipe your computer clean and reinstall, malware these days is really hard to track down and a lot of AV software won't cut it (but you should definitely have it and listen to it!). Since you are using Vista, I'd say more than likely the exploit failed, but better to be safe than sorry. If you absolutely cannot do that, then you need to try and hunt down the file that is causing the crash and email it to me, I might be able to tell you if it was successful or not. Of course, after you do that, delete it :p

Also, any information you can give me over PM about where you got the file, file extension, etc. would be very helpful. If its a new variant of a virii we haven't seen before, I'd like to take a look at it.

Quote by punkrox101
yeah vista pretty much sucks.

Quote by DoomSentinal
They're is your problem right there, someone installed Vista on your Laptop.

That really isn't helpful, they should start handing out warnings to people that make idiotic comments like this. If this is indeed a malware attempt that failed, he can thank Vista for preventing it.
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Oct 21, 2007,
delete your systems 32 folder?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
delete your systems 32 folder?

There is not a single version of windows that would even allow you to do that...

And listen to Sephiroth. He's a computer genius.
Quote by LordSephiroth
The likely explanation is that you downloaded a 'virus'.

I should explain though. When you get a virus through something like iTunes, you have downloaded a file that exploits a vulnerability in the application (iTunes in this case), so it takes advantage of a security flaw in the code. When you open that file in the vulnerable application, the vulnerability is exploited and an executable is downloaded and run on your system (the virus). A good portion of the time, crashes like what you are referring to are a result of an exploit attempt (although not always). You are a little bit better off with Vista in this case since it is the first variant of Windows to implement ASLR, which prevents exploitation of vulnerabilities like this one (however it isn't 100% effective, plus the application will still crash regardless).

So the reason that iTunes keeps crashing is that you probably have the exploit on a playlist or something similar, so when you open the application, it exploits it over again. Your best bet is to wipe your computer clean and reinstall, malware these days is really hard to track down and a lot of AV software won't cut it (but you should definitely have it and listen to it!). Since you are using Vista, I'd say more than likely the exploit failed, but better to be safe than sorry. If you absolutely cannot do that, then you need to try and hunt down the file that is causing the crash and email it to me, I might be able to tell you if it was successful or not. Of course, after you do that, delete it :p

Also, any information you can give me over PM about where you got the file, file extension, etc. would be very helpful. If its a new variant of a virii we haven't seen before, I'd like to take a look at it.

That really isn't helpful, they should start handing out warnings to people that make idiotic comments like this. If this is indeed a malware attempt that failed, he can thank Vista for preventing it.

+1
I had the same problem and I could fix that from safe mode.Do you think he's able to delete crushing file in safe mode?
Quote by emad
+1
I had the same problem and I could fix that from safe mode.Do you think he's able to delete crushing file in safe mode?

Probably, doubt he'd even need to enter safe mode though. As long as iTunes isn't open, he should be able to delete it.
+1 to Sepiroth suggesting wiping out everything and reinstalling. Or, maybe a system restore to before you tried the whole youtube thing.
Quote by LordSephiroth

Pffft. What do you know, you aren't a mod or anything!

-SD