Hi, im new to the bass part of the forums here. ive been playing guitar now for 8 years and am now looking to play bass too. ive played a bass guitar about 3 times in my enitre life lol. im looking for a bass guitar and amp for at home play only, i dont really plan on gigging as a bassist just want to try another instrument. i would like a 4 string bass and a practice amp. my budget is $1000 for both amp and bass. i would like a better bass like u know sumthing not bottom of the line but dont want one way expensive either, something that i will be happy with and not need to replace anything or buy a new bass. and the amp is the same nuthin sh*tty but nothing expensive either. any help is appreciated. peace
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Hmmmm... Well, for the bass, I could recommend a hell of a lot of them. Any particular styles you like to play in particular?

Fender Jazz's work in a lot of situations.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you're only going to be a "hobby" bassist, why splash out a grand?

I highly agree with this... also, if you're only gonna play at home, I'm gonna go ahead and assume tone isn't going to have to be perfect with you, but nevertheless. I would recommend these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Jazz-Bass?sku=516042
and
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-BT50-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=487805

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you have cables, so let your own preference guide you there.

Those together cost less than a grand and are both amazing in their own right!
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
im looking for a versatile bass since i play alot of different music from jazz to metal, i said a grand cause i wasnt quite sure how much was needed for half decent basses and amps, but hell if i can get half decent equipment for a fraction of that then sign me up lol. yea tone isnt really gonna be too much of a factor here, i mean i dont want it to sound like crap but i dont need the super tone either. Robb, the amp looks like a good solid amp for practice and the bass also looks pretty awesome, now by wut u recommended there on average for wut im looking for should cost somewhere around $600 correct?
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
i wish i had a grand to spend on my bass gear.
and im doing it full time!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by Off-The-Heazay
i wish i had a grand to spend on my bass gear.
and im doing it full time!

+1, though... I have spend like 1100 euro's on it and still have a ****ty amp. All the instruments here in the Netherlands are just too expensive!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you're only going to be a "hobby" bassist, why splash out a grand?

I guess some people have "expensive" hobbies, lol.

IDK, if I had that much cash, I'd be down at the music store, trying out basses and amps like there was no tomorrow (wait, i do that without the cash...nevermind). Once I found one that sounded good to me, felt good to me--well you get the general picture. Or if I really wanted the esteemed opinion of the entire awesome body of the Bass forums, I'd try out a few basses and then if I wanted some "reviews", I'd come back and say, "Hey, I found this really nice MIA Fender Jazz in a shop, anyone have any opinions pro and con on this model?

Sorry TS, this one gets asked a ton around here...

And for the record Ben, I am 30 USD closer to the Urge II, btw....
Quote by anarkee
I guess some people have "expensive" hobbies, lol.

IDK, if I had that much cash, I'd be down at the music store, trying out basses and amps like there was no tomorrow (wait, i do that without the cash...nevermind). Once I found one that sounded good to me, felt good to me--well you get the general picture. Or if I really wanted the esteemed opinion of the entire awesome body of the Bass forums, I'd try out a few basses and then if I wanted some "reviews", I'd come back and say, "Hey, I found this really nice MIA Fender Jazz in a shop, anyone have any opinions pro and con on this model?

Sorry TS, this one gets asked a ton around here...

And for the record Ben, I am 30 USD closer to the Urge II, btw....

Lol... I doubt it'll be long before you can afford it, lol.