DROP-IN REPLACEMENT PARTS/UPGRADES FOR FENDER STRATS/SQUIERS

Please use this as an initial guide only, and always refer to individual manufacturers' recommendations for assuring proper fit with your particular guitar. I have specifically restricted the included products mentioned here to "drop-in" replacements and upgrades only—those that do not require major modification to your guitar.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 21, 2007,
FENDER LSR ROLLER NUT:

Fender LSR Roller Nut, SKU no. 361268 $39.99 USD [Musician's Friend]
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

GOTOH DROP-IN REPLACEMENT LOCKING TREMOLO:

Wilkinson/Gotoh VS-100N Tremolo $99.94 USD [Stewart-MacDonald]

FLOYD ROSE LOCKING NUT ONLY:

Floyd Rose Locking Nut Set $28.20 [Stewart-MacDonald]

STRING TREES:

Roller String Retainers $5.37 USD (set of two)
[Stewart-MacDonald]

Graph Tech String Retainers $5.13 USD (set of two; mounting screws included)
[Stewart-MacDonald]

SUPER-VEE DROP-IN REPLACEMENT LOCKING TREMOLO:

Super-Vee Nut

Super-Vee Tremolo

Complete Super-Vee installation kits sell for $249 USD [direct] and include:

• bridge assembly/tremolo
• locking nut
• vibrato arm
• installation manual
• assembly kit (includes two hex wrenches, neck shim, wood shims and glue)

Quote by LEVEL4
SUPER-VEE DROP-IN REPLACEMENT LOCKING TREMOLO:

Super-Vee Nut

Super-Vee Tremolo

Complete Super-Vee installation kits sell for $249 USD [direct] and include:

• bridge assembly/tremolo
• locking nut
• vibrato arm
• installation manual
• assembly kit (includes two hex wrenches, neck shim, wood shims and glue)

I was going to suggest the Super-Vee

Basically, the best has been covered here already.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Thanks. I've been struggling to tune my new Mexican HSS Strat (which I later realized was mainly due to the factory strings only having been turned only a couple times around the post), so I researched all this stuff here, and on the internet, and thought it would just be convenient to have it all in one place . . . with PICTURES!

Now, I do have a question: Since Floyd Rose/Kahler tremolos require modification, I haven't included those products here. But is there any reason, if you have, say the Wilkinson/Gotoh bridge, that you COULDN'T just buy the Floyd Rose locking nut only, and use that in conjunction with the Gotoh? I mean, you'd have to un-wrench it everytime you had to tune since the Gotoh lacks microtuners, but is there any reason why that wouldn't work or wouldn't be recommended?

It would work. I don't think anybody has ever had a problem doing that. It wouldn't be as stable as a full Floyd Rose system, but it would work.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by LEVEL4
FENDER LSR ROLLER NUT:

Fender LSR Roller Nut, SKU no. 361268 $39.99 USD [Musician's Friend]

That requires extra routing, and it doesn't work with .010's and above.

Quote by LEVEL4
STRING TREES:

Roller String Retainers $5.37 USD (set of two)
[Stewart-MacDonald]

They don't roll, which makes them useless.
Quote by mr_hankey
[The Fender LSR roller nut] requires extra routing, and it doesn't work with .010's and above. [The roller string retainers] don't roll, which makes them useless.

Thanks for head's-up on the Fender roller nut. Yeah, I couldn't find any application information for many of these products. Looks like I'll have to rely on the UG community to point those kinds of things out for me, since, I'm certainly no expert in any of this. That LSR roller nut looks way cool, though. I was reading somewhere that it's not too difficult to install. I'm still going to give that one a shot on my Mexican HSS, and I only use .009s anyway.

Although they don't actually "roll," those "roller" string retainers would ease some small degree of friction and edge-stress when compared with the standard Fender stamped-metal retainers. I think it's worth $5 to try 'em out. Plus they look ultra-nice.

By the way, does all this stuff work on full-sized Squiers too?

EDIT:

Quote by Black Star
It would work. I don't think anybody has ever had a problem doing that. It wouldn't be as stable as a full Floyd Rose system, but it would work.

Actually, on second thought, that wouldn't work on any bridge without microtuners.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 24, 2007,