Hey guys, basically my band has its first gig on wednesday the singer dropped me in "it" because I have 1 day (wednesday because I get paid on tuesday) to get a new guitar which can't be from the net.
I was originally looking at some Ibanez's but I can't get a guitar with a locking nut because I have to switch to Drop-D at one point in the set.
So there's my lifes story, out of these 2 which would you guys say I should get? (I'm trying both out today but just want an idea) they're the only 2 half decent ones in the price range in the stores in my city.
Playing style is classic rock, blues, instrumental etc. I cannot go anything over £400 strictly because I get paid 1 day before I need the guitar, and literally throwing all of my wages at it so there's no point anyone saying "just save another £30 or £50" because I can't.
Ok looking forward to your replies.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I've never played the PRS however i've heard great things about them. The les paul, in my opinion, is a fantastic guitar. Paired with the right amp, it'll sound brilliant.

I'd go for the les paul, but that's only based on experience.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
What guitar have you got at the moment? Is it playable and does it hold tune?

They may be an argument for not rushing in and buying something else in advance of this gig if you don't absolutely have to. I say this because you will be limited in choice by the stock of the shop you go to, and you may make the wrong decision...

I don't know what to say really, I like the PRS. Epi's don't get really nice till you spend some more money. Dean Hardtail Select is something in that price range that I am currently considering.

Cheers Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Well at the moment I'm borrowing the other guitarist in my bands backup guitar literally for practices, but obviously he needs that to be his backup for the gig, and my guitar is my first guitar and I kid you not it is a piece of s***, the fret board is so big even someone with hands as big as SRV would struggle, and don't get me started on the pickups. I'd love to tell you the make but I don't know what it is lol, every guitarist I've ever showed it to said they don't have a clue. It was ok to learn on but 2 years on I need something better.....or just SOMETHING you know lol. I'm not really limited, as I have always liked both these guitars. But it's kinda crunch time now and I need to get one
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
^Well if it is £400 on your first 'real' guitar then great go for it.

I was worried that you already had an ok guitar and you wern't really going to achieve an upgrade by rushing in now and spending the £400 you currently have.

If you have no guitar then try them both, and more, and buy the one that feels right. Good luck with the gig.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Well at the moment I'm borrowing the other guitarist in my bands backup guitar literally for practices, but obviously he needs that to be his backup for the gig, and my guitar is my first guitar and I kid you not it is a piece of s***, the fret board is so big even someone with hands as big as SRV would struggle, and don't get me started on the pickups. I'd love to tell you the make but I don't know what it is lol, every guitarist I've ever showed it to said they don't have a clue. It was ok to learn on but 2 years on I need something better.....or just SOMETHING you know lol. I'm not really limited, as I have always liked both these guitars. But it's kinda crunch time now and I need to get one

Out of the two you listed, I'd get the PRS, but have you considered a hardtail Ibanez, like the RG321?

http://ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=rg_fixed

http://ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=sz

http://ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=x
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 21, 2007,
PRS Tremonti all the way! Iwould tell you what to mod it with, but the mod has my design in it!