Been lurking
Now I'm posting.
I can't make up my mind which to keep.

1986 Ibanez Proline 1880 (I think)
1996 Washburn Dime333 (Korea)
Both Black, Both w/Floyd Rose, both in good shape but used.

The playability and sound/tone of the Ibanez is superior. The washburn is cool but play is not as good. The one I get rid of will pay for the work I need (Setup) on the other and an AMP. I really need an amp to test to make up my mind.
The Washburn also has a neck with like jumbo frets that I don't like. I always feel like I'm reaching. I guess it's made for someone that plays a lot of leads and solos like dimebag. I'm more of a crunch rythm style. maybe I should sell both and get another. But for now I must decide.
I have pictures I can email if needed. (Don't know how to post them yet)
Though I've been trying for years I consider myself a beginner.
I like metal.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Quote by Hemp788
Been lurking
Now I'm posting.
I can't make up my mind which to keep.

1986 Ibanez Proline 1880 (I think)
1996 Washburn Dime333 (Korea)
Both Black, Both w/Floyd Rose, both in good shape but used.

The playability and sound/tone of the Ibanez is superior. The washburn is cool but play is not as good. The one I get rid of will pay for the work I need (Setup) on the other and an AMP. I really need an amp to test to make up my mind.
The Washburn also has a neck with like jumbo frets that I don't like. I always feel like I'm reaching. I guess it's made for someone that plays a lot of leads and solos like dimebag. I'm more of a crunch rythm style. maybe I should sell both and get another. But for now I must decide.
I have pictures I can email if needed. (Don't know how to post them yet)
Though I've been trying for years I consider myself a beginner.
I like metal.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Out of those two, I'd get rid of the Washburn, but keep in mind that the Washburn alone probably will not raise enough money for a new amp and a setup.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
what he said^
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Thanks for the replies. I was just going to buy a Roland cube amp for $125.

Also I'm in Tokyo for now and from what I've seen everything commands a higher price here. Theres a street lined with guitar shops and I think they will consgn for me.
Last edited by Hemp788 at Oct 21, 2007,
I think I'd part with the washburn, it seems from what you said you prefer the ibanez so thats the one i'd keep
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by Hemp788
Thanks for the replies. I was just going to buy a Roland cube amp for $125.

Good choice (try and get either the microcube or the 30watts and above models, because they have the amp models).
keep the ibanez. considering you like metal. For metal guitars its BC rich/Ibanez but thats my opinion
Quote by FenderJag65
keep the ibanez. considering you like metal. For metal guitars its BC rich/Ibanez but thats my opinion

Higher end Washburns can be very nice as well and there are, many, many other brands out there that produce guitars which can be deemed suitable for metal. A metal guitar isn't something that's exlusively limited to one brand or shape, it's usually a guitar that can handle gain well and has a nice neck, which can handle fast playing (although everyone has a different opinion on what a 'fast' neck is).
You say the Ibanez has better tone and playability, then it's a no brainer

Keep the Ibanez, part with the Washburn.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
"You say the Ibanez has better tone and playability, then it's a no brainer
Keep the Ibanez, part with the Washburn" Kurapica.

Yes but they also both need a setup. I was thinking the Washburn has never been setup, ever by the looks of it.

So maybe if they were both on a level playing field, (Setup) I may like the Washburn.
With things as they are I'm not sure.
Quality-to the Ibanez
Condition-to the Washburn (Ibanez has maybe 6 dings different places)
Playability-to the Ibanez (For Now)
Oh and the Ibanez Bolt-on, Washburn set-neck
so your saying that if it were to be setup propely then you may prefer the washburn, and so you arn't sure??

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
so your saying that if it were to be setup propely then you may prefer the washburn, and so you arn't sure??

if so, then how do you expect a bunch of internet people to make a decision on two guitars that you have, and still cannot even judge accurately?

this thread doesnt make sense on the whole.

you have these guitars. keep the one you like. why would I, or anyone else be able to make a better choice than you?

sigh.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
"so your saying that if it were to be setup propely then you may prefer the washburn, and so you arn't sure??"

Yup. Thats what I'm sayin. I was hoping everyone would be like easy choice keep this one. So far nobody likes the washburn. I think it's going to get gone come next Saturday.

"this thread doesnt make sense on the whole."

Because to a novice things are not as clear (Read Beginner)

Hemp.
well how much would it cost for you to get it setup? cause you could get it setup how you like, then if you still prefer the ibanez sell the washburn and say its been Professionally set up when you sell, you should get a least a bit of what you spent for getting it set up back, at least this way you will know for sure which you prefer.

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by Hemp788
"so your saying that if it were to be setup propely then you may prefer the washburn, and so you arn't sure??"

Yup. Thats what I'm sayin. I was hoping everyone would be like easy choice keep this one. So far nobody likes the washburn. I think it's going to get gone come next Saturday.
Hemp.

Well ask yourself this:

Is it worth the amount of money you're going to get for it to keep it?

You shouldn't expect an awful lot (check ebay and other auction sites to see what they're going for); this is a signature model from an artist who will always be associated with Dean and who has over twenty models available right now from them with his name on it.

It is basically a Korean lower end signature model, designed to look like his Deans.

It might be a nice guitar, especially after a setup, but on paper, it's not that great.

So chances are, what you're going to get for it, isn't worth selling it at all.
Thanks everyone.

Bonsaischaap, thanks for the perspective. I agree the Washburn is not as spectacular as I thought it would be. I traded it for an Acustic. The Ibanez came out of a junk yard (so to speak) and is probably the real surprize, I expected nothing and got a lot. I expected the Washburn to fly with the wings but instead it just lies there (like my wife).