Recently got a new Ibanez guitar but the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups aren't really doing it for me, I want something that can do some nice shred tones but also some Zakk Wylde-esque harmonics, because the ones at the moment, the harmonics don't really ring out very well.

I'm open to most brands and I'm willing to spend about £50-£70.
Funny words.
...Gibson Ceramics i think are the things im thinking of...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
If you want active pickups, give them new Seymore Duncan Actives a try, they're meant to be EMGs but better..
Try some high output Dimarzios, like the X2N, D Activator. Also look at swineshead pickups since you live in the UK.

Or if you could spend some extra cash, buy some Bareknuckles.
+1

I was thinking the Venom too, it leans towards brighter frequencies...I suppose it's kind of Swineshead's Evolution equivalent. The Warthog is great too, but I think the Venom will be more the TS's style.

Also what amp do you have Mr TS?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want Zakk Wylde like harmonics, get zakk wylde emgs. it only makes sense. i have the emg 81/85 combo like he uses and it sounds great for metal, and contrary to poular belief the 85 has a great clean tone.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Quote by SkateEmerica987
If you want Zakk Wylde like harmonics, get zakk wylde emgs. it only makes sense. i have the emg 81/85 combo like he uses and it sounds great for metal, and contrary to poular belief the 85 has a great clean tone.

Actually that makes no sense - for starters Zakk Wylde EMG's are exactly the same as a normal 81/85 set. Secondly, Zakk Wylde's pinches are all about technique and have sod-all to do with his pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
+1

I was thinking the Venom too, it leans towards brighter frequencies...I suppose it's kind of Swineshead's Evolution equivalent. The Warthog is great too, but I think the Venom will be more the TS's style.

I'm using a Valveking 212 with a GNX modelling system atm, although sometimes just with a Tubescreamer and sounds pretty good despite popular belief.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of active pickups, I wouldn't not use them, but given the choice (and price bracket), I'd much prefer passives.

I've been looking at some Duncan JB sets as well, any thoughts on them?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
I'm using a Valveking 212 with a GNX modelling system atm, although sometimes just with a Tubescreamer and sounds pretty good despite popular belief.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of active pickups, I wouldn't not use them, but given the choice (and price bracket), I'd much prefer passives.

I've been looking at some Duncan JB sets as well, any thoughts on them?

The JB is a bit schizophrenic and sounds great sometimes, pants others. Plus it'll set you back around £80, you could have a Swineshead for about £50.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

A Dimarzio Fred has great harmonics, as does the Mo Joe.
Satch uses harmonics a lot, and he gets great sound from them.

Honestly, the pick ups that come in Ibanez are so horrible, and Dimarzio (and I'm assuming Seymour Duncan, but I haven't used many of those) are gonna be leagues better. The stock pick ups are super weak and tinny, and have no balls. No balls.
I'd say either:

Bareknuckle miracle man. Con: £80-£90.

Swineshead venom: con: i haven't tried it. but the swinesheads I have tried are nice.

Bulldog Black Label: Con: again, i haven't tried, but the dude who makes them used to work for bareknuckle. Plus it's a little cheaper than a bareknuckle (£80 versus £90 for BKP).

Basically depends how flexible that budget is...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd say either:

Bareknuckle miracle man. Con: £80-£90.

Swineshead venom: con: i haven't tried it. but the swinesheads I have tried are nice.

Bulldog Black Label: Con: again, i haven't tried, but the dude who makes them used to work for bareknuckle. Plus it's a little cheaper than a bareknuckle (£80 versus £90 for BKP).

Basically depends how flexible that budget is...

Well the Duncan that I was considering getting was about the same amount of money as the BKP, which would you recommend?
Funny words.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

*sigh*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Well the Duncan that I was considering getting was about the same amount of money as the BKP, which would you recommend?

well, i have a JB, and I have a miracle man. it's no contest. the miracle man is "better". clearer, tighter (and my MM guitar is tuned half a step lower), more open- and organic-sounding... just better (different guitars, to be fair, but still). I would assume the bulldog would be of similar quality, while I would assume the swineshead venom to be not just as nice as either the bareknuckle or bulldog, but still a lot nicer than the duncan.

but as mark says, we need to know what your amp is... you'll get the best results with a really nice amp... without a really nice amp, while you'll still probably notice a little difference, you're likely to be underwhelmed, and it's probably not the most efficient use of your funds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hang on a second, i misread your original post! you have dimarzio/ibz pickups? those are actually not bad pickups. if you can't get harmonics out of those, i'd have thought it's your amp, technique, or something else (even guitar setup can affect harmonics) to blame, not the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hang on a second, i misread your original post! you have dimarzio/ibz pickups? those are actually not bad pickups. if you can't get harmonics out of those, i'd have thought it's your amp, technique, or something else (even guitar setup can affect harmonics) to blame, not the pickups.

Well, using my other guitar, through the exact same amp settings, the harmonics are a lot clearer than on the Ibanez.

And at the moment I'm using a Peavey Valveking amp.
Funny words.
I'd have thought a Valveking would respond well to decent pickups, Dave's right about your stocks though...the bridge pickup is to all intents and purposes a Dimarzio Super Distortion, that's not exactly a slouch,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

what's your other guitar? as i said, maybe you have the action too low on the ibanez or something, or you just aren't used to where the nodes are on a 25.5" scale or something?

EDIT: when i saw it first i thought he said stock ibanez pickups, e.g. infs or powersounds or something similarly crappy. brain malfunction...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your other guitar? as i said, maybe you have the action too low on the ibanez or something, or you just aren't used to where the nodes are on a 25.5" scale or something?

EDIT: when i saw it first i thought he said stock ibanez pickups, e.g. infs or powersounds or something similarly crappy. brain malfunction...

My other guitar is a Vintage SG, which albeit is a different scale, but I've tried harmonics along different lengths of the string, and it's not as if there aren't any harmonics, it's just that they're not ideally how I'd like them to sound.
Funny words.
interesting. and you say they sound fine with your other guitars through the same amp.

I dunno. I mean, those pickups I suggested either have good harmonics, or are reputed to have good harmonics, but there's something wrong, other than the pickups, most likely, which is stopping you from getting harmonics...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dimarzio Super Distortion
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
Dimarzio Super Distortion

Quote by steven seagull
I'd have thought a Valveking would respond well to decent pickups, Dave's right about your stocks though...the bridge pickup is to all intents and purposes a Dimarzio Super Distortion, that's not exactly a slouch,

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?