Page 1 of 2
I notice that the Fender Strat (MIM) comes in maple and rosewood. Personally I prefer the look of maple, but in the form of functionality and ease, which do you prefer?
Quote by AussieVesti
I notice that the Fender Strat (MIM) comes in maple and rosewood. Personally I prefer the look of maple, but in the form of functionality and ease, which do you prefer?

Depends,

I guess if I had to choose between them, I'd go for maple, partly because worn maple fretboards are incredibly good looking.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
When the maple has a nice satin finish, i prefer it over rosewood feel-wise. Tone wise i can't really notice a difference between the two. Maple is a tad more "snappy" maybe. i would try both out and go for whatever feels better.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
I would just try a rosewood Strat and a maple Strat, and see which one you prefer. I personally prefer maple, it plays better IMO.
I prefer the maple, I think it looks awesome on strats
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Maple all the way
-Looks better
-Because of the finish it feels like heaven
-It has a slightly more rounded livelier sound than rosewood.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yeah personally my judgment on choosing between the two was the looks. I much prefer the lighter colour on the strat. Knowing that people here seems to favour the maple over the rosewood seems to be no-brainer on which neck to choose.
Maple.

And they're getting DAMNED rare on current Fender models these days. And I also totally agree with Bonsaischaap: totally worn out Maple fretboards look bad ass! Also, it's probably all in my head, but Maple always seems to "feel" smoother, and seems to play faster than Rosewood fretboards.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I prefer Maple. A brighter sound, looks cooler and feels nicer to play. That's my opinion anyways.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by LEVEL4
Also, it's probably all in my head, but Maple always seems to "feel" smoother, and seems to play faster than Rosewood fretboards.

Not in your mind at all. Maple is usually finished with a layer of oil to keep it from getting dirty and generally protecting the bright wood. That layer of oil makes it fee much smoother
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Maple for Strats; Rosewood for everything else. 'Tis the only way.
Quote by bokuho

Would you say that applied to superstrat types, because I think them Ibanez 20th anniversary RG's that are red or yellow with the maple fretboard look absolutely beautiful.
Quote by bokuho

nothing but maple looks good on a tele!!!

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Jaffaps2
Would you say that applied to superstrat types, because I think them Ibanez 20th anniversary RG's that are red or yellow with the maple fretboard look absolutely beautiful.

Yes they do and the maple fretboard definitely played a roll in me getting one.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
To me, the two fretboards don't feel any different but IMO it has to be maple on a Strat
For feel, and often looks, I'd say maple. But hell, I love the rosewood on my Les Paul and my Dad's strat copy.
I hate rosewood fretboards, they get sticky after a while and IMO, they slow me down, maple is awesome though, wish I had one...Goddamn Epis <_<
Yeah, I have a Rosewood American HM Strat. I just bought a Mexican HSS Strat with a MAPLE fretboard . . . FINALLY! I can't stand playing my other Strat now. It just feels stickier. My whole life I wanted a BLACK Strat with a MAPLE fretboard. Oh yeah, Fender makes like two of those.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

i prefer the sound of rosewood. a lot warmer than a maple. maples tone are too bright for me.
Equipments:
Fender American Telecaster N7
Yamaha CG150
Line 6 Tonecore Echopark
Behringer VAMP 2.0

"There's only two colors around the world. That's pink and green. Making love and making money." - Blacks20
I like maple, snappy sound. The maple fret board on my carvin is finished with tung oil and its really smooth. I dont like the thick finish fender uses sometimes on their maple. Rosewood just feels too, i dont know... grainy. (maybe its my cheap guitar with bad rosewood)
On the look side it depends of the guitar colour. Like my strat is black with a dark pickguard so a rosewood one looks good. Maple wouldent at all. But a white strat would look great with a maple one.

I prefer maple though.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by AussieVesti

i find rosewood is easier to play on and gives a bit of a warmer tone. people usually say that rosewood feels faster. but if you have tall frets or a scalloped fretboard then that doesnt really matter. then its just a matter of tone and looks. but i just have medium jumbo frets so i can still feel the fret board on certain things like bends. whenever i play a maple fretboard i always find i dont like the feel as much.

so it really just depends on what you like. i dont even like the look of it personally. i think it looks kinda cheap. the only time i like it is on a black strat. a white strat looks alright too i guess but it looks nicer with a rosewood imo. so its just all personal opinions.

also it depends on the guitar sometimes. like if i wanted to get a tele, i think id go with the maple. just because thats like what they are known for and its part of the sound and look. but thats probably the only time other than a black strat that id use maple.

edit: i just noticed people were sying rosewood is sticky. well if you cleaned your fretboard and oiled it like you are suposed to it shouldnt do that.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Oct 21, 2007,
I found a strat with great tone, and am working on creating it. One problem, it has a rosewood fretboard. But let me tell ya,
tone > aesthetics

Just try to find something with the tone you like, regardless of fret board type. If it turns out to be a rosewood, just find a paint job for a rose wood that looks good with it.
i prefer maple slightly, but it's close. the major thing is, cheap rosewood can feel horrible, whereas most maple feels ok. So if it's a cheaper guitar and you have the choice, maple might make more sense. Though obviously if you try before you buy, you can kinda judge if the rosewood is ok.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm weird. I prefer rosewood. The unfinishedness of it makes it feel silky smoth.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
maple shines when you play some clean to low gain blues. i kinda like rosewood when it gets to higher gain about deep purple.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
maple=sex
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
What's with all these "finish" comments. Aren't fretboards not supposed to have finishes?
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Satin finish is often on Maple if that is the "no finish" feeling your talking about.
Quote by Fryer Mike
What's with all these "finish" comments. Aren't fretboards not supposed to have finishes?

wtf? my flame maple has glossy nitrocellulose laquer finish.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A worn maple fretboard is one of the most comfortable things a hand can touch ... get your mind out of the gutter kids !!!
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by CORT noob
I'm weird. I prefer rosewood. The unfinishedness of it makes it feel silky smoth.

oh i like rosewood too. and it has a really nice warm tone. just cheapo rosewood is horrible.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh i like rosewood too. and it has a really nice warm tone. just cheapo rosewood is horrible.

Yeah totally, I noticed that too. Thats why I went with Maple on my Strat - Rosewood looked better IMO but because it was ordered off the net I didn't wanna risk getting a dry Rosewood board.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah, i mean even on fender highway ones (hardly cheap guitars) the rosewood felt a bit "iffy". not cheap like a £50 starter guitar, but i'd hardly call it good...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. I've only ever felt one Rosewood board that I consider to be truly good, and that was on a £900 Heritage Les Paul. The neck contour ruined that guitar for me though. Big Fat U shape.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
oh, i've tried decent enough rosewood on plenty of guitars (some not even all that expensive)... just below a certain price, it's kind of guilty until proven innocent. heck even on expensive guitars it is.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm.....how bout 3-tone or brown sunburst with a maple/flame maple neck?

Oooooyyyeaaahhh!!!

Page 1 of 2