I've been looking at the peavey 6505s latly and finally understand how the pre/post gain stuff works, but i dont really get what the resonance and presence controlls do. can someone explain this. i've heard it makes it sound better at lower volumes? please help me clear this up, thanks.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
Presence is kind of like a second treble control with a different frequency it controls (I believe higher). I will effect kind of the softness or sharpness of the sound.

Resonance controls overall low end, or how much bass there is, somewhat like another bass knob but not really...I remember hearing somwhere that it has to do with how much of the low frequency range travels to the speaker cab...

But just for the sound, Resonance is like a second, slightly different bass control, and presence is like a second, slightly different treble control.
^Yup, its basically a second control, which can add more of what you want or balance it out. It works very well.

Great amp for metal.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Both resonance and presence are related to EQ. Presence shifts the tonal balance for raising or lowering slightly upper midrange and treble to enable lead guitar to cut through the band mix better. The resonance switch tightens or loosens the bass response sort of like switching types of cabinets. Loose sounds more like an open backed cab (a little more diffused and thuddy.) Tight mimics the response curve of a closed (infinite baffle) cabinet, a little more punchy and more pronounced thump.
Thanks alot guys...well, that clears up that problem
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.