Hi.

I'm starting to want to learn more shreddy/heavier things than my usual blues-rock, stuff like Satch/Vai/Dream Theatre etc.
I'm not really comfortable with playing stuff like that on my strat or LP.

Most recommendations for this kinda thing I've noticed are the RG's.
A quick check on some music sites and I find that there seems to be hordes of them, I wouldn't know where to begin on finding a decent one.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edit:
Budget is around 500 pounds.
And a FR is a must.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Oct 21, 2007,
Well, only cheapest one you can go is the RG321 which has no trem IMO if you're playing Joe Sat and Steve Vai you'd need one and the most that I can think of are used RG5xx/6xx/7xx on the bay or the current RG Prestiges.

Also worth noting is the S series, don't dismiss those.

EDIT: Yeahp, price range... I forgot about that...
Like you said, there are hordes of them. So, my only question would be ; Budget?

&&Btw, rg's are great guitars. You quite simply can't go wrong with one. (A pickup change wouldn't hurt every now and then, though.)

Edit - Without a budget, I can only assume you have some cash.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ320EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512546

SZ320EX.

* SZ (set-in) neck
* 3pc. Mahogany Neck Material
* Mahogany Body with multiple binding
* 22/Medium frets
* Bound Rosewood Finger Board
* Gibraltar III bridge
* Duncan Ibanez (H) Neck PU
* Duncan Ibanez (H) Bridge PU
* Abalone Dot Inlay
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Oct 21, 2007,
ibanez is overrated, in my opinion.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lazlow325i
ibanez is overrated, in my opinion.

That's absolute bull crap. They're a huge company with a vast selection of quality instruments.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
That's absolute bull crap. They're a huge company with a vast selection of quality instruments.

calmmmmm downnnnn.
i just don't see them being any better than other guitars in the same price range.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Fender Deville 410
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Oh crap yeah, forgot budget.
Around the 500 mark (British pounds, my keyboard is messing up), I suppose, although I could save up for a little longer.
Quote by lazlow325i
calmmmmm downnnnn.
i just don't see them being any better than other guitars in the same price range.

well, they are
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Generally the best but cheapest new RG with a trem is the 1570. Though again don't overlook the S series.
500 pounds? About 1000 USD then.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Eletric-Guitar?sku=518870

RGT6EXFX.

* EMG 85 (H) Neck PU
* EMG 81 (H) Bridge PU
* Basswood Body
* Wizard II (neck-thru)
* 5pc. Maple/ Walnut Neck Material
* 24 jumbo frets
* Bound rosewood fretboard
* Fixed bridge
* Off-Set Dot Inlay
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
£500 could get you an Ibanez RG1570

Slim/fast neck, excellent tremolo, and so on.

Pickups could be an issue (well, the bridge pickup really, the neck one is alright), but if you change them somewhere down the line...
Last edited by buckethead_jr at Oct 21, 2007,
Quote by dale-banez
well, they are

is there any point in me bothering to argue? i respect your opinion. enjoy your guitars, good sir, and please respect my own opinions.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Fender Deville 410
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by lazlow325i
calmmmmm downnnnn.

It's all a matter of opinion.

Some people would say a schecter or agile could beat an ibanez into the dirt.

Me, I've been playing the same ibanez for two years. I love it, it just needs new pickups.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
TS, Do you want a trem *Floyd Rose* or not? because that's also a deciding factor.

You don't want a guitar that doesn't have something that you want.
Then it's either the RG1570, S470/S320/S540 I guess... if you want some other options, you can also look into the bay for some used RG5xx...
definatly an ibanez RG1570 if your looking into shred, vai/dream theater stuff. as it fits your budget nicely. it is true though that the bridge pickup can get muddy sounding but with a good dimarzio pickup the guitar will be one of the best you will ever play.

you may also want to look into the ibanez rg7321, as if your playing dream theater stuff you may need a 7 string as petrucci uses them quite often.

laters, ad
Ibanez are great guitars, just lack the good pickups. You could look into jackson or the Schecter C1-hellraiser FR or the elite.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Look into a used RG550. Ibanez Prestige today can't touch any early 90s RG, Saber or JEM in quality, feel and value. If you could do without the 24th frets, look into an S540 Saber. If you MUST buy new, the RG1570. The stock pickups are pretty good, but they don't beat some good DiMarzios or the stock pickups that came in older models. Are you dead set on Ibanez? I would give other brands a spin too, like a new Jackson SL3 or a used Jackson Professional of some kind.
^ what CJRocker said basically

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Try second hand, you can easily pick up an Ibanez RG550 or 570 for about £200 - £300. With your leftover cash, swap out the pickups and you have a pro level guitar.
Quote by CJRocker
Look into a used RG550. Ibanez Prestige today can't touch any early 90s RG, Saber or JEM in quality, feel and value. If you could do without the 24th frets, look into an S540 Saber. If you MUST buy new, the RG1570. The stock pickups are pretty good, but they don't beat some good DiMarzios or the stock pickups that came in older models. Are you dead set on Ibanez? I would give other brands a spin too, like a new Jackson SL3 or a used Jackson Professional of some kind.

I've been looking at the Jackson DKMG and the Schecter Hellraiser FR, but around here the stores don't have a great selection without specially ordering from somewhere, so I'd like to make up my mind based on specs and other peoples opinions first before I go out ordering left right and centre.

The RG1570 seems to be everything I want, although the DKMG is pretty nice too, and that has '81 and '85s.

Edit:
Quote by Mwoit
Try second hand, you can easily pick up an Ibanez RG550 or 570 for about £200 - £300. With your leftover cash, swap out the pickups and you have a pro level guitar.

I'll look on eBay, but if nothing is available on there I'm pretty much forced to buy new. The north-east sucks for guitars.
Quote by Mwoit

Shush you

That black one looks yummy, and it's got some nice pickups in it already.
Relatively speaking, it's dirt cheap too.

My birthday is the 23rd, which is nice. That's where all my guitar money is coming from, since I made the mistake of blowing all my current money on pointless crap like guitar hero and whiskey.

Edit:
Shit, the black one ends on the 22nd
The blue one is a bit cheaper, I could easily buy some new pickups and have them switched.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Oct 21, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap

That is coming with the guy with 5 of them

I would recommend a RG1570, RG550, RG570, RG2550, or RG2570

The are basically all very similar guitars, I'd say get the cheapest out of those and replace the pickups.

I personally really like Dimarzio evolutions, but I've heard good things about the Dimarzio Air Norton and tone zone too.
Quote by CJRocker
Look into a used RG550. Ibanez Prestige today can't touch any early 90s RG, Saber or JEM in quality, feel and value.
To be fair, when it comes to old MIJ RG and new MIJ RG, this is a load of hokey. Value, maybe, but a big maybe - a dead mint 570 won't run you much cheaper than a new 1570. "Feel" is a nebulous concept that I won't argue, but I'll mention that the RG body hasn't changed in twenty years aside from the introduction of the AANJ in '93 - so I'm not really sure how a '90 570 would feel so much different from a '05 1570. And the quality on the new F-made RGs is quite great, not to mention it comes with design innovations like 5-piece satin finished necks and headstock joint volutes.

In any case, I'd be looking for a 570 if I were to go used. 550s have terrible value compared to 570s thanks to the fact that 550s had a greater selection of Fisher Price finishes in their heyday and are thus way more popular with all the strange people who whimper in ecstatic throes if their guitar looks like a kindergarten utensil.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
assuming you want to go new, a 1570 is the obvious one... should be able to get one for around £450... put the £50 towards a pickup swap in the near future (preferably bareknuckle, bulldog, swineshead or irongear depending on how much you want to spend, considering you're in the UK), and you should be set.

assuming your amp is set. is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just recently bought the RG1570, replaced the pickups, and I love it. But I've been told that the tremolo on it is crap, but I just got it. I can't really tell you about durability.
To be fair, when it comes to old MIJ RG and new MIJ RG, this is a load of hokey. Value, maybe, but a big maybe - a dead mint 570 won't run you much cheaper than a new 1570. "Feel" is a nebulous concept that I won't argue, but I'll mention that the RG body hasn't changed in twenty years aside from the introduction of the AANJ in '93 - so I'm not really sure how a '90 570 would feel so much different from a '05 1570. And the quality on the new F-made RGs is quite great, not to mention it comes with design innovations like 5-piece satin finished necks and headstock joint volutes.

Im sorry but no. And besides, I don't see too many "dead mint" 570s around. Yeah, they would cost almost as much as a new RG1570, because dead mints pretty much new and hardly played. And sure the quality is good, but its not as good as it was. You can say innovations all you want, but the single piece neck on my S540 is 17 years old and still works fine. And the body hasn't changed is a completely moot point. All companies have made some kind of change to save Costs. Quality of the wood, QC, construction process, etc.

And playing my S540 then a new RG1570 the quality just doesn't seem the same. Maybe its me, but I can look at a guitar and tell the attention to detail put in into it, and the newer ones don't have that same kind of attention or detail to them.
Quote by CJRocker
<snip>

It's just you.

Although admittedly, the S540 was a bit higher on the scale than the RG5x0. Little things like metal pickup rings instead of plastic and cosmo hardware. I'll agree that the old S series feel lush, but the old RGs are still nothing too special compared to the contemporary Fujigen fare.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by CJRocker

And playing my S540 then a new RG1570 the quality just doesn't seem the same. Maybe its me, but I can look at a guitar and tell the attention to detail put in into it, and the newer ones don't have that same kind of attention or detail to them.

LUL wut?

your mad, the fretwork and fit and finish on the new rg's is exceptional

i have a 1994 rg550 here and a 2007 rg1527 and can speak for both
You should be able to find a used Ibanez Jem on ebay for around that price.
^On eBay Uk.... nah.

Btw TS, just wait, Black RG550's come up often on eBay.