ive always loved the sound of a dive bomb or hearing vai make harmonic squeal like shooting a pig on the stomach using a whammy bar, and ive always wanted to give this a go. but at the moment i cant afford a mid-range guitar with a double locking floyd rose. so i was wondering if i should have a floyd rose installed on my indie balck standard, or install decent pickups on my god-awful ****ty assed strat which has a one-way whammy bar. any advice lads?

cheers!
whammy pedals do not give the true effect of a dive bomb, so I wouldn't get one, just install some locking tuners and get some new pickups for your strat and then dive bomb
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
well, what kind of amp do you have? your tone is like 90% of your tone,so if have a crappy starter amp, then new pickups won't help
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
the crappy strat will do fine for now. I keep my MIM set up so the trem is locked down. You can still dive but you cant pull up for the squeals. Although if you hit a pinch harmonic it sounds similar. just lock it down tight, use pencil lead on any contact points, and make sure your strings are wrapped neatly around thier pegs.
Quote by senor_penguin
your tone is like 90% of your tone

Out of context, that could be confusing.
The pig squeels are done by pulling UP on a floating trem. I really wouldn't recommend setting your tremolo to float on your "god-awful ****ty assed strat", since the trem probably isn't too nice, not to mention it will throw any tuning stability out the window.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club