Yup, basically, how do I do it? If I have tabs for a song and I know how many beats are in a measure, how do I know what makes one beat (quarter, eighth, etc.)?
Dumb question, but I'm not too good at some aspects of theory
Part of the Conan O'Brien is a genius group.
PM Garlik to join

Quote by X\Chazza/X

Anyway, long hair and a foreign accent, aren't you a hit with the laydeees?

Quote by CollinPlaysBass

Backstreet Boys > Beatles
generally you wing it. learn the rhythm by ear and use the tab for what you play.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
try Musician talk
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
just tap it out. if there are 3(or a multiple of 3) beats per measure then its 3-3 timing. if there are 4(or a multiple of 4) beats per measure then its 4-4

EDIT....or mebe thats wrong... u still get the idea though
Last edited by chris_libby_88 at Oct 21, 2007,
4 quarter notes make a whole note.
1 2 3 4...
A quarter note divided by half is an eighth note!
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &...
An eighth note divided by half is a sixteenth note!
And so on... You catch my drift?
uh.....1 2 3 4 5............ no that didnt fit, i'll try again............1...............2............3.......... nope not that.................1....................2............3............4............ thats it!
if you dont even know how to count in other times you probably don't listen to anything out of 4/4 time
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
If the time signature is x/4, then one beat would equal one or more notes which add up to 1/4. If it's x/8, then one beat equals one or more notes that add up to 1/8, etc.
I'm a communist. Really.
i have the same prob identifying time signatures... its so confusing
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
okay, i actually understand your question.....

it really doesnt matter. you can make a quarter, eighth, etc. get the beat and everything else will just be in smaller increments. Whichever note gets the beat is completely irrelevant to how to song will sound if you understand what I'm talking about.

Ex: Quarter note gets the beat: 4 quarter notes in 4/4 time
Eighth not gets the beat: 8 eighth notes in 8/8 time (which is also simply 4/4 time)

follow?
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Oct 21, 2007,
All meter can be divided in to groups of 2 (simple), 3 (compound), or 2 and 3 (hybrid) beats.

Most pieces utilize accents to... accent certain beats. This can help you to count the beats. Just start on what sounds like a downbeat and count until you hear the downbeat again.

Try finding the time signature of Radiohead's Pyramid Song. It'd be a good exercise.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by C.C. Deville
i have the same prob identifying time signatures... its so confusing

New boobs!

-------
In standard 4/4 time, there are 4 quarter notes (4 x 1/4 = 4/4). A quarter note is one count.

When it gets more difficult like 7/8, one measure consists of 7 times an eighth (half of a quarter note).