My friend wants to be an accountant and he is really interested in maths so we are waiting for the bus and he is talking away about the test he has in class (Some crazy A2 level stuff)

So i turn to him and i ask, where is that going to get you in life?
How is the question there are two trains travelling at 230mph taking into the account of friction etc.
Where is that going to get you in life, how is that useful.

My friend turns me to and says "Maths is how the world works".

I was then thinking about this while we are on the bus and i challenged him again.

He started talking about his patio and how maths helps it fit together perfectly.

I turned to him and said

"Maths can't build you patio for you, you apply maths to allow you to do it, but maths ITSELF cannot do anything"

Who do you think is right in this case? Me or my friend?
ummm, Dat train iz fast0rz
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
I think you both are wrong or talking about something as boring as that when you can talk about beer and football.
Quote by Izz
I think you both are wrong or talking about something as boring as that when you can talk about beer and football.

I hate football and i prefer cider to beer. :p
Some of the more out-there math is fascinating.

That said, accountants suck.
My Last.fm Account

My Band

Quote by Jackal58
JoHNNERz you sir are my hero of the moment.
Quote by str84ever
I hate football and i prefer cider to beer. :p

Sorry?
seriously, your friend is right. math is all around us, and its essential to life. the tough math may be useless though unless you are going to be a mathematician or an...........accountant.....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Lots of the world can actually be explained, if not by maths, then at least in maths.
I'm a communist. Really.
Maths isn't how the world works, Physics is, but thers a lot of maths in phsyics. If it wasn't for maths you wouldn't have your computer, or your guitar amps, as all the cirtuitry is worked out using maths equations. Therefore, your friend doing A level maths will have good career prospects in the future...is it obvious I have an A level in maths? hehe
Quote by Mark-O1987666
Maths isn't how the world works, Physics is, but thers a lot of maths in phsyics. If it wasn't for maths you wouldn't have your computer, or your guitar amps, as all the cirtuitry is worked out using maths equations. Therefore, your friend doing A level maths will have good career prospects in the future...is it obvious I have an A level in maths? hehe

My argument is that you need people to apply maths for maths to be useful to do those things.
Math is the only pure science that can actually explain everything. Everything in this world an theoretically be reduced to a mathematical formula or algorithm.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
i would take your side, but when you think about it; how CAN you apply maths to things if theres no maths in the first place?
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
math is all around weather you're aware of it or not
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
I never understood people who say "I won't use this, so why am I learning it in school?" I use advanced math in my everyday life. So I think your friend is right.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by Mark-O1987666

Physics is all derived from math. Ever heard the term, Calculus based Physics. The funny thing is that, as abstract as upper level math seems, it is much more useful in the real world than subjects like geometry. The problem is that nobody ever presents math correctly in most school settings, so people never see how it can be useful. I honestly didn't see it until I got into Calculus, then the real purpose of Trig became apparent.

Quote by str84ever
So you can prove the existence of God with maths?

Actually, this has been done, to an extent. I forget who did the math for this (I believe it may have been Pascal, but don't quote me there), he showed that, mathematically speaking, it is better to believe God exists than that he doesn't. Most of that has to do with the probability of events occurring naturally. It winds up that, when you combine all of those probabilities you wind up with a mathematical zero, which means it should never happen on its own.

Honestly, math is way more important than people realize, but it is really only important to LEARN for certain people. Making a journalist learn Trig doesn't make much sense, they will not apply it. After Algebra, or maybe Geometry, math should be optional, people that need it can use it.

Trust me, you don't want your lives built around a lack of math, nothing you have would work, period.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by str84ever
My argument is that you need people to apply maths for maths to be useful to do those things.

well when your applying maths you have to use maths
its like saying you need to apply a wrench for it to be useful
a walking talking advertisement for population control
"Maths" is only for smart educated rich guys. =P
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
you BOTH are right. Without math, the world wouldn't function. But mat it's self can do little. BOTH of you are right, in this case.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
the reason why we get tested on all this stuff is to make sure you could do a good job. You wouldnt want math to be really easy, or else there would be complete idiots building your bridges, houses, etc.
Sorry but IMO your friend is correct - read 'Freakonomics' that'll explain it all.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Quote by str84ever

"Maths can't build you patio for you, you apply maths to allow you to do it, but maths ITSELF cannot do anything"

Who do you think is right in this case? Me or my friend?

You can use your computer to access the Internet, including all sorts of information. But it can't do anything on its own.

Does this make it useless? No.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Sounds to me like you enjoy putting your friend's dreams down. But, you're both right.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by nosushi4you
Sounds to me like you enjoy putting your friend's dreams down. But, you're both right.

You are correct. I am a total bastard lol.