I probabbly will never be able to do this
but i can still play
B major/minor and F major/F minor chords fine
my g string is always muted
You will,you just need to practice. Barre chords are one of the hardest early techniques to nail, but you'll find that what you learn comes in handy for all aspects of playing, not just chording. If you're struggling practice them higher up the neck where fretting is easier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
no seriusly this isjust impossible, tried it on like 9th fret still cant do it

i've been practicing for like 2 months
but i can still get most barre chords alright
2 months is nothing - just because you've been practicing for that long doesn't automatically mean you'll develop the necessary finger strength and dexterity. If your fingers aren't yet strong enough carry on practicing with open chords and go back to barre chords in a month or so.

Nothing happens overnight with the guitar, you shouldn't get worried or disheartened just because you don't get instant results.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It really is just a matter of time, we all think it'll never happen but one day you'll play the same impossible chord and it'll work....and no it doesn't REALLY matter if all the strings ring out, but it won't sound as full as it should.
Last edited by david_highland at Oct 21, 2007,
yes, it matters

find your shape on the strings but dont hold down yet.

when you have your shape, slowly, very slowly, hold down, little by little adding more pressure

as you add more pressure, start strumming and stop pushing down when you can hear all 6 strings

it will come with practice, hell it took me 3months to learn powerchords
Quote by Acquiescence
but which barre chords would require all 6 strings to be barred?

What do they call them, I'm rusty when it comes to terminology, "root 6 barre chords" when the root is on the 6th string, a root 5 would only requiere 5 strings, that is if I'm thinking of the right term.
Quote by slipknotfan2448
i am sure every barre chord uses all strings

no, some bar chords only use 4 or 5 strings

6 stringers are like G:

A minor

when i barre with my finger, only my g string is muted
but most barre chords only require that the low and high e and the b strings are barred, because your other fingers fret the other strings.
for F minor barre chord i just shift my finger to the left so that now my g/b/e strings are ringing ,but the d string isn't-- but it doesnt matter because the d string is being fretted by other finger
Quote by Acquiescence
but which barre chords would require all 6 strings to be barred?

Basically anything that has a root on the low E string, so basically any that use open E or G shapes, although the G shapes are pretty rare. In general just barre chords that use E shapes.

Yes, there are inversions that have an additional low note that isn't a root, but for the purposes of simplicity...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

You will,you just need to practice. Barre chords are one of the hardest early techniques to nail, but you'll find that what you learn comes in handy for all aspects of playing, not just chording. If you're struggling practice them higher up the neck where fretting is easier.
they are hard but not one of the hardest look up how jimi hendrix played his barre chords its alot easier. it basically a g/c with a thumb base note
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
I thought I would never get barre chords down, just practice and don't worry too much about failing and sooner or later you will jump up from your chair and cry "BLIMEY, I'VE GOT IT!"
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by slipknotfan2448
i am sure every barre chord uses all strings

Nah, most with the root note on the A string wont. Eg. x24442 x57775 etc
Ive been playing just under 6 months and i have just recently managed to perfect barre chords, you just have to practise alot then you will just be able to do it at some point
Just keep at it!! You'll get it! When I started playing Barre Chords for the first time, I was like ...omg this is impossible... But I just kept trying and trying, and finally I just became able to DO IT!! A tip my book gave me that made things easier, is to roll your index (barre) finger onto its side a bit while pressing down all the strings. That should help!
It can be tougher to learn barre chords if your guitar is a steel-string acoustic with very high action.

After struggling for a few months, I had my guitar set up properly (truss rod adjustment and a sliver shaved off of my bridge saddle), and barre chords suddenly became waaay easier to play.
3 years later bare chords are still a btich for me lol. i can play them all, but switching between them is a bitch. anyway when i started out trying to do barre chords my index finger was in agony, just gotta bite the bullet until you can comfortably barre it all. also if you are using an acoustic with high action, move the whole chord up about 5 frets, it gets significantly easier around the middle of the fretboard, once you have it down you can move closer to the nut
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
It matters, just don't worry about it and continue to practice them every now and then, eventually you'll get it.
muting the G string in a 6-string f-type bar chord is the same as a 5th chord. it's good in heavy rock music, but i think it gets boring when it comes to more blues-ish songs.

i play Fmaj like this:
-e--1-- I
-b--1-- I
-g--2-- M
-d--3-- R
-a--x-- T
-e--1-- T

this way sounds the cleanest when played with overdrive. i can hear the string definition from every string.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
dont worry you will get there ,
and it's ok for now simple chords are composed of 3-4 notes ( so you dont have to play all of them)

use this "disadvantage" in your favour and explore different chord shapes

any thing that won't kill you ,will just make you a better axeman

keep on rockin' buddy
for just an easy e shape barre chord, make an open chord e shape but use ur pinky and then slide down and barre the first fret, thats an f barre chord e shape
Quote by Connor6c
I sucked on my mom's nipples
Also, what I would advise is not to press down on all 6 strings.

For example, the F chord which is:

For the E major shape, just relax your finger and make sure you have the pressure on the other strings E, B and E. It might be a bit hard to do at first because of the dispresion of strength, but it is useful.
Are you reelin' in the years?
Try just getting your index finger to stretch over all 6 strings. Just keep stretching it as far as it'll go, then worry about your other fingers.
i think the title should be renamed to
"I can play full barre chords like F and B, but i can't barre all 6 strings with just index finger, Is this bad?"
Dude, there's no way your index finger isn't longer than the width of the fretboard. Unless you have some sort of deformed midget index finger...

If your finger is indeed longer than the fretboard, then there's no doubt you can become comfortable with it with practice. Like I said, try repeatedly stretching it over all six strings, then worry about the other fingers just to build strength.
tune all your strings down a step or two.
then as you get better tune them up in half step increments
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
yeah, when you start learning them they are VERY hard, then when you learn them, your hand will get very tired when you're playing like a 3 min song, u WILL cry. but its all a matter of your hand getting stronger, and later, you will learn that you don't have to press as hard, and u'll be fine. took me about half a year to get this technique down. it is well worth it. keep practicing.
Quote by acdc_rocks_1992
they are hard but not one of the hardest look up how jimi hendrix played his barre chords its alot easier. it basically a g/c with a thumb base note

Only if you've got big hands and you're using a narrow neck. It's best to be able to do both, but if you're going to rely on one or the other, the standard barre is probably best.

If the OP has only been playing for 2 months, then this really is not the time to be giving up or looking for crutches in his playing -- plenty of people end up having to go back and correct technique that they should have been more diligent about when they first began. OP -- Just keep at it, taking the advice already given. Most people have trouble with it at first.

Take a look at your guitar's action. Do your strings seem too high off the fretboard? That's pretty common in cheap newbie guitars, and could be impeding your progress.

If your fingers are too short to reach all the way across... I've got to ask -- how old are you? Do you have regularly sized hands? What type of neck/guitar are you using?
Last edited by Serotonin at Oct 25, 2007,
Trust me you'll get it, i had the exact same problem and eventually i got it (im 13, so smallish hands)
my opinion..

Don't sit and practice getting the Barre's ringing perfectly. this takes alot of time to become second nature..

instead, why not learn lots of easy songs that use barre chords and just have a really really good time playing them.

a nice example for you would be 'stumble and fall' by 'Razorlight'. why?

this song uses a variety of barre chords shapes and has a slow transition in places. litterally a single down-up strum, then a pause. perfect for practicing changing your finger positions.

After a while you'll automatically become alot stronger in you hands and that muted g string will be gone forever.

You'll soon be complaining about a sore left hand from all the barre chords. lol
Yes.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by david_highland
What do they call them, I'm rusty when it comes to terminology, "root 6 barre chords" when the root is on the 6th string, a root 5 would only requiere 5 strings, that is if I'm thinking of the right term.

Yeah you're right, you can change the bar chord a little bit by dropping the 6th string and moving your fingers up a little big and play strings 5 to 1. Its just a different sound. I like the full sound though.
Quote by slipknotfan2448
well then ignore what i said i am just learning chords after playing for 4 years

sigged
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Last edited by DarTHie at Oct 26, 2007,