I'm building an HH guitar where the humbuckers can be wired in parallel, series, out of phase or by themselves, and I want each pu to have its own volume control. There are some inherent problems I've seen though, like the volume control that works for a pu that in series isn't the same wiring needed as a volume control when theyre in parallel. Any thoughts? If anyone could draw up a diagram, or give me some direction that'd be great!

This is what I came up with. I just want to make sure that the volume pots only effect the pu they were meant for, and same goes for the tone controls. Keep in mind that when the rotary switches have the pickups in series, or different phases that stuff gets a little more confusing. Does my diagram work?

PS more info about rotaries at http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/rotary.html
Quote by flashbandit

This is what I came up with. I just want to make sure that the volume pots only effect the pu they were meant for, and same goes for the tone controls. Keep in mind that when the rotary switches have the pickups in series, or different phases that stuff gets a little more confusing. Does my diagram work?

PS more info about rotaries at http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/rotary.html

1 - I didn't think a normal wiring on volume controls would work well in series, but there is a user (JohnH) at the guitarnuts forum who has reported good results. These guys know wiring. That's all their forum is about.

2 - Your tone switches are in the WRONG place. They will severely affect the tone, if the volumes are turned down. Move them to the pickup side of the volume controls.

3 - When the two pickups are parallel, if one of the volume controls is turned to minimum, it will cut out all the sound. Live with it. Wiring the volumes "backward" won't work well at all in series mode.

4 - Wiring two coils of a HB out of phase is a big loser. It's weak and tinny, AND it doesn't hum cancel. If you only have 3 choices: Series, Parallel, Single coil. If 4, you could include out of phase series, but you will probably never want to use it.

5 - Out of Phase will be fine for the two pickups. Out of phase series will sound better, IMHO.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
awesome, thanks alot! I thought the same thing about your point #3, because wiring backwards would put the pots resistor in series with the pu on the ground or output side. So right now, if the pups were in parallel with each other, their pots would basically be like a LP is wired right? That's what I figured, and I guess if other can live with it so can I.

about the phasing, It's not at all out of my way to allow for those sounds, so I figure I might as well. I'm guessing that although wiring a HB out of phase with itself sounds bad, doing that and adding the other HB may sound good. The out of phase one could embellish, or texture the sound a little more.

What are your feelings on a tone switch instead of a pot? I know on my strat, the knob is either full up or full down so I figure a switch won't be too bad.

Lastly, this is my first attempt at a schematic, and I've put alot of thought into it, and I can't decide if I'm creating any ground loops or not. Am I?

Thanks again!
Quote by flashbandit
awesome, thanks alot! I thought the same thing about your point #3, because wiring backwards would put the pots resistor in series with the pu on the ground or output side. So right now, if the pups were in parallel with each other, their pots would basically be like a LP is wired right? That's what I figured, and I guess if other can live with it so can I.

about the phasing, It's not at all out of my way to allow for those sounds, so I figure I might as well. I'm guessing that although wiring a HB out of phase with itself sounds bad, doing that and adding the other HB may sound good. The out of phase one could embellish, or texture the sound a little more.

What are your feelings on a tone switch instead of a pot? I know on my strat, the knob is either full up or full down so I figure a switch won't be too bad.

Lastly, this is my first attempt at a schematic, and I've put alot of thought into it, and I can't decide if I'm creating any ground loops or not. Am I?

Thanks again!
The way you have the pots wired is like a vintage LP, before independent volumes. They suffered the same problem you will. It's not that bad, really.

If you only use your tone controls in a binary fashion (0 or 10) then switches should be just fine. They are going to have less high cut when everything is in parallel, more high cut when everything is in series.

The effect of normal ground loops is a bit over-rated. You haven't really shown any connections to shielding, pickup frames, or the cases of pots, etc. There isn't anything to evaluate.

In your circuit you MUST be very careful about anything connected to the ccw leg of the volume control for the "top" pickup in series mode. That point will NOT be ground in series. Don't connect that ccw lug to the case of it's pot or to a wire connected to the frame of the pickup.

The frames of the pickups, cases of the pots, shielding, and bridge ground should be connected together and to whatever point in the circuit is always at ground. To keep things simple, you might connect them to the wire going to the sleeve of the output jack.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.