My lead guitarist and I are pretty fluid when it comes to roles.

Can anyone recommend a guitar in the £200-300 range that can handle both?

EDIT: Should have said, sorry vv
We play alternative/rock stuff. With some metal parts in places.
Last edited by Easty1 at Oct 21, 2007,
Styles? It's hard to recommend a guitar to suit you if we don't know what types of music you play.
^

Washburn x50pro

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

you can play both on any guitar,just as you can play any style of music on any guitar.It is more about the operator then it is the machine that they are using.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
If u dont need a trem, a Les Paul would work very well. Altho something like an SG would be better if u play more lead. And its not nearly as heavy. But if u do need a trem, maybe look at some Ibanezs, even tho the trems on em arent exactly good. ESP makes some good guitars u could use for both.
Quote by Bhaok
you can play both on any guitar,just as you can play any style of music on any guitar.It is more about the operator then it is the machine that they are using.

yep
Quote by qotsa1998
If u dont need a trem, a Les Paul would work very well. Altho something like an SG would be better if u play more lead. And its not nearly as heavy. But if u do need a trem, maybe look at some Ibanezs, even tho the trems on em arent exactly good. ESP makes some good guitars u could use for both.

Excuse me? Apparently someone has never played a ZR or Edge.
If you had tried the upper end Ibanez's, you wouldn't be saying that.

Try an Ibanez SZ, perhaps? Tune-o-matic bridge, dual humbuckers, good neck actions..

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I dont think any guitar is specific to lead or rhythm. There are guitars which are perhaps better for soloing due to the neck, but that doesn't make them any worse at playing rhythm. A Mexican Strat you could probably get in that price range, or possible a cheap Ibanez RG.
For £200 - £300 a Les Paul would be good. Or maybe a SG. Mind you, you could get a MIM Startocaster for £300, and Strat's are good for lead and rhythm. But I'd definately reccommend the Les Paul.
For £300 I'd recommend a Jackson KVX10 or a Jackson RX10.

The Epi Les Paul is ok, but them Jacksons are good. Like another guy said the 2007 models are indeed very good, the pre 2007 models are squiers with Jackson bodies.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
Telecasters are not suited for alternative rock, or anything distinctively heavy, not to me anyway.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85

Amps -
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
The main thing is neck comfort which relates to hand size/strength and styles. The answer to your question is very subjective. I can do them both comfortably on any guitar with a reasonably good neck (excluding "baseball bat-necks.)
PRS SE... awesome mix between rhythm and lead
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
Quote by BadgerX
Telecasters are not suited for alternative rock, or anything distinctively heavy, not to me anyway.

thats completely rediculous... look at rage against the machine, radiohead, john 5, jim root, that guy from wintersun, james iha, graham coxon, alex lifeson, Jimmy Page, and Joe Strummer

there are many more players but dont say the telecaser isnt versatile just because you think its a country guitar...

also i find lower end jacksons to have non-enduring floyds.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
^+1

i <3 my tele. single neck, single bridge. mmmm sexii.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Different folks, different strokes.

John 5's new tele has 3 humbuckers if I'm not mistaken, but his old one, yes, was one humbucker and a single coil, and processed through a volley of effects to mask it's versatility. Morello uses a telecaster amongst a range of other guitars, ditto for Jimmy Page.

As an instrument for a long run without any other, a telecaster would be a wrong choice because, as you succinctly put, it lacks versatility . As a choice amongst others, yes, it's a brilliant guitar, I love it for clean passages.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85

Amps -
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
The bridge pick-up on a tele gives a very nice distorted sound taking it very well with very little to no hum.
Middle position on telecaster very nice rythym, and bridge pickup gives a great lead. The neck pick up is very nice too for warm cleans and when distorted gives it a nice mellow distortion that sounds similar to the intro in Sweet CHild O' Mine, atleast IMO
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Actually, a Telecaster would be a nice choice. Like the guy above has said, the bridge pickup handles distortion well, and when I tried a MIM Tele, the neck pup was pretty good too. Not to mention the twangy cleans are the shizzle.
Quote by p.stick
^

Washburn x50pro

+1 because nobody else on the thread seems to have picked up on it.

£300 from GAK and as far as the specs go it's probably the best guitar deal in the country right now.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
God, I wish that model was THAT cheap here.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I know, it's a bizarre thing in that it's one of the few guitars that's comparitively cheaper in the UK than it is in the US.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, and not to mention that Washburn is an American company.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hardtail RG. MIM HSS Strat. Epi Les Paul w/pup swap. There's a million ways to get where you want to go...so get to a shop and try some stuff out.
Quote by Bhaok

Bingo.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...