Hey guys, I looking into getting a new acoustic and want a cutaway acoustic for the extra neck room, but I was wonderingif all cutaways are acoustic-electrics, because I dont care at all about being able to plug it in, I just want the extra access to the neck. Thanks in advance.
no, they're not all electro

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
Most are, but u might be able to find one that isnt. Actually, i cant think of an that have cutaways that dont have electronics in em. Just look around alot.
I think they're all electric because you obviously lose some resnonance due to the cutaway

but im just a newb
in short, no.

cutaways that are purely acoustic aren't as common but they do exist. i'd check out guitarcenter.com to get some initial ideas of brands that produce them and the different styles that are out there.
There are some that aren't, but rethink the plugged part. With the 7 band eq i have in my PA you can do some pretty amazing things with tone. Even if you don't use it plugged you have a much greater choice in guitars. Always better to have something you don't need then to need something you don't have. If you change your way of thinking down the road all you'll need is an amp or PA with out wondering what kind of pickups your going to have to get to go with it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by yamakid17
can I play an acoustic-electric thru an electric amp?

Yes. John Butler plays through a Marshall JCM 800 with an acoustic and it sounds amazing.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Yeah...acoustic amps are more for the acoustic sound. To pick up on the resonance.
Yes, indeed, there are some cutaways that are not also electric. I have just a few comments on the tonal response and with playing an acoustic electric guitar through an electric guitar amp:
1. Whether the cutaway will bother or actually please you, is very dependent upon whether you like the sound of the guitar, after trying a number of guitars. Things are not as simple as they may appear. It should be obvious that any change in, say, the geometry of any guitar WILL have an effect. That is a given. However, just think about what is going on here. On the down-side, you may notice a small reduction in the bass response of the lower strings. But on the up-side, you will also pick up some unexpected resonances simply due to the fact that the cutaway is there! It will have a different sound, in any case. Also make sure you have the salesman demo the guitar for you, so you can hear what your audience will hear.

2. Try the guitar... first unplugged, so you can judge what the guitar will sound like as just a normal acoustic. Then AFTER you have done that, ask to be plugged into an amp, to see what that sounds like. Now you are in a position to make a better judgement as to what YOU want.

3. As for the acoustic-electric amp versus the standard guitar amp, I can only give you my personal tastes. I have a nice Roland AC60 which I dearly love. It gives me one sound that I like. But I also have an older Fender Super 210 tube amp, that gives me a really fat sound that I love. None of my other electric guitar amps I have sound good to me when I plug in one of my acoustic electrics...period. I have Peaveys and others, that sound great with a Strat, or others, but fail to do a good job with my acoustics.

Good Luck!
Joey45
Almost all A/Es are cutaways, but there are plenty of cutaways that aren't A/E. Personally, I don't use the extra space that much, but it's nice to have every once in a while.
Death to Ovation haters!
^-- Actually I find that there are MANY more A/Es that aren't cutaways than cutaways that aren't A/Es.