I am wondering would a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty be as good or better than a Gibson Les Paul DC? because I love both of those guitars
Last edited by Entendu at Oct 21, 2007,
no... it would not... and that is not higher class epiphone. higher class epiphone would be the elite series.
Equipments:
Fender American Telecaster N7
Yamaha CG150
Line 6 Tonecore Echopark
Behringer VAMP 2.0

"There's only two colors around the world. That's pink and green. Making love and making money." - Blacks20
Epiphones have a different sound and feel. The pickups and parts aren't near as good, same goes for the wood. Gibsons are made with much higher attention to detail, and much higher quality parts and wood. The feel is also fantastic if you get a good one. So no, there is no comparison.
Quote by sashki
maybe even studios,
Definitely the Studios. Both the Gibson and Epi Studios are some of the worst guitars I've ever come across. I would in fact rank a Gibson Studio below an Epi Standard.

As far as other Epi's go, I'll say just this: amoungst my various instruments, I have two Gibsons (both LP Classics, mid/slightly high end Gibson models), and two Epis. One of those Epis is a standard-series Epiphone Les Paul Custom that I've lightly modded, and it's the second best guitar I have, better than the stock Gibson Classic, and only a small way behind my modded Gibson Classic.

I'm willing to bet, on that scale, that if I could get my hands on an Epi Elitist and mod that, it'd probably (in theory anyway) out-perform both of the £1900 Gibsons...
i've played some crap gibsons though, our local dealer says the export crap here and they tend to be poorly wired and be bad samples of wood.
Both are machine-made tho. Its kinda like a Mexi Strat vs an American Strat. Mexi Strats are made in Mexico by mexicans, and (from some1s sig), American Strats are made in California by Mexicans. I think that Epis are made in Korea and assembled in the US. My acoustic was made in China, but i think the Electrics are made in Korea and (at least) set up and inspected in the US, maybe assembled. Gibson uses all Mahogany(at least on the Vintage RIs), which results in a heavier guitar, but deeper sound. Epi uses Mahogany/Alder, which gives u a much lighter guitar, and its sounds a bit brighter. Gibson uses straight 1/2" or maybe 3/4" Maple tops, and sometimes Epi uses Alder tops, which is more cost-effective and doesnt matter as much on solid color guitars.

IMO, an Epi with Gibson or upgraded pickups could be better than a Gibson. It definatly would sond a bit more versatile i think.
yeah the DC I am thinking of is a standard but I think Gibson has put out 2 different kinds of DCs now
They also have the DC Pro. Different scale length, pickups and cosmetics.
i thought the pro and the standard had the same scale just the standard has 2 more frets and they have dif pups
Quote by qotsa1998
I think that Epis are made in Korea and assembled in the US.

I believe it's the other way around. Parts are made in the US, only assembled overseas? Correct me if I'm wrong.

What's DC stand for, I'm kinda slow. Double Cutaway?
Quote by qotsa1998
Both are machine-made tho.
[..]
I think that Epis are made in Korea and assembled in the US.
[...]
i think the Electrics are made in Korea and (at least) set up and inspected in the US, maybe assembled.
[...]
Gibson uses all Mahogany(at least on the Vintage RIs), which results in a heavier guitar, but deeper sound. Epi uses Mahogany/Alder, which gives u a much lighter guitar, and its sounds a bit brighter. Gibson uses straight 1/2" or maybe 3/4" Maple tops, and sometimes Epi uses Alder tops, which is more cost-effective and doesnt matter as much on solid color guitars.

This would all be true if you went back five years. Some of it was still true up to two years ago.

Now? All of this is entirely incorrect (for electric guitars and basses, anyway).

- Gibson aren't machine-made, only Epiphone are.
- Epiphone instruments have never been assembled in the US. They are crafted entirely in Korea ( mid and high-end) or Indonesia (low-end).
- The specific electronics depend on the model, but high-end Epis use American-made electronics, fitted in Korea. Mid range Epis use Korean-made electronics fitted in Korea, low-end Epis use Indonesian electronics fitted in Indonesia (note: the Indonesian and Korean electronics are all made to the same spec, so technically there should not be any difference between them).
- Instruments are inspected at their respective factories (Korea or Indonesia). Once again, no part of any Epiphone instrument is assembled nor inspected in America.
- They also now, and have done for quite a while, used 100% the 'proper' woods, the same as the full Gibson models do. The only exceptions to this are the low-end Epis (Special-II and Junior) which do not use the proper woods at all sill. The 100 and Studio also were slower to upgrade to the newer woods, and so some of those will still have the old mahogany/alder mixes.

Quote by AngelOfHatred
What's DC stand for, I'm kinda slow. Double Cutaway?
Exactly right.
Quote by bokuho
- They also now, and have done for quite a while, used 100% the 'proper' woods, the same as the full Gibson models do. The only exceptions to this are the low-end Epis (Special-II and Junior) which do not use the proper woods at all sill. The 100 and Studio also were slower to upgrade to the newer woods, and so some of those will still have the old mahogany/alder mixes.

yea i thought that epi had gone to using solid mahogany like gibson
Quote by bokuho

- Gibson aren't machine-made, only Epiphone are.
- Epiphone instruments have never been assembled in the US. They are crafted entirely in Korea ( mid and high-end) or Indonesia (low-end)

Exactly right.

Exactly wrong in those two cases. Gibson are machine made like every other regular production guitar. Martin, PRS, Gibson, Taylor, Jackson, ESP, etc, all cut and shaped using CNC machines.

Up until the late 80s, maybe even mid 90s, Epiphone made a lot of guitars in the USA. Just before the 80s, almost every Epiphone was american.
From what I understand Epi has a better quality control than Gibson. I used to collect Gibsons and I have bought Epiphones I liked better than the same type of Gibsons.

John