I was told by my teacher that resting your hand on the pickguard will help you pick faster, i have never done this, and can pick pretty fast, (not that im bragging or anything) but does it really help? and if it does, what exactly is the proper technique for doing it?
Just tried it... my picking seems to be a little faster, but it doesn't really make a huge difference
Part of the Conan O'Brien is a genius group.
PM Garlik to join

Quote by X\Chazza/X

Anyway, long hair and a foreign accent, aren't you a hit with the laydeees?

Quote by CollinPlaysBass

Backstreet Boys > Beatles
I do it by habit. It just seems to help me know where i'm picking... not really with speed.
I'm Tyler
It's just what you like.. I like resting my hand at the bridge because my hand is more stable that way
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
it helps me pick a little faster, but not by much, if you wanna pick faster, go for it, unless it feels uncomfortable, i dont really see a huge difference for me though.
i anchor my pinky on the bridge, oddly enough
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by Farether
It's just what you like.. I like resting my hand at the bridge because my hand is more stable that way

Yes, I do the same.

And to OP, do you mean resting you fingers near the pickups like Yngwie and MAB do? Or resting your wrist on the pickguard?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal