They seem pretty interesting, but I'm only a beginner really, so I was wondering what are the advantages?
You have one more bass string. That's it. I personally hate 7 strings. The necks are just way too fat.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
u can play lower notes. so like u don't have to tune ur guitar down to a really low tuning and lose that top e string, just add another string, and u can play low notes while still having the opportunity to play really high notes
you can be t3h br00t4alz.

basically, you have the advantage of a 7th string...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Matt Heafy and Corey Bealieau use them to warm up for shows and used them for some of The Crusade's songs including the title track. Ever since I found that out, I've wanted one.
I have a 7 string. It was my seccond guitar, and my favourite for a long time. The advantage, over a 6 string, is simply extended harmonic reach, ie, you can play more notes. The disadvantage is that parts are harder to find, the neck is wider and takes getting used to, and they are slightly larger and heavier than a comparable six string. Try one out, see if it appeals to you.
U can go from playing a Mastodon song like Wolf is loose (full step down) to Iron Tusk(Drop A....no kidding) without changing guitars/tunings. I dont like 7 strings. But its a personal thing.
from a jazz standpoint, they make it far more possible to play a moving bass line under your chords or melody, and create many more harmonic possibilities. when used correctly, 7 strings are very impressive.

however, now everyone just associates them with bands like korn who just use them to play unnecessarily low.
Matt Heafy and Corey Bealieau use them to warm up for shows and used them for some of The Crusade's songs including the title track. Ever since I found that out, I've wanted on

Lol that's gotta be the saddest thing I've ever heard
1)You have 5 extra lower notes everywhere on the fretboard so its awesome if your into low riffage and virtuoso playing.
2)The extra notes mean that you almost never have to down-tune your guitar again. I can play slipknot, killswitch engage, metallica, dream theater etc...all on one guitar even though they all use different tunings.
3)More comfortable neck if you have big hands like me
4)You can cover a lot of bass stuff on the guitar itself, which I do when the bassist is bad
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Mark-O1987666
Lol that's gotta be the saddest thing I've ever heard

+1 haha

7-strings let you play lower notes. So basically if you want to have those really heavy riffs and keep those soaring high shred solos, thats what it does.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'll have to buy or try one sometime, they really seem to fit my taste.
There are also 6 string baritones. They have a longer scale length (usually in the 28" range) and are tuned standard to BEADGB. It would essentially do the same thing as a 7 string except you don't have a high-E and the scale will be larger.

If you plan on playing a lot of stuff in really low tunings then a 7 string or baritone might be right for you.
there amazin for chords cos of the extra bass string
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Axecutioner
There are also 6 string baritones. They have a longer scale length (usually in the 28" range) and are tuned standard to BEADGB. It would essentially do the same thing as a 7 string except you don't have a high-E and the scale will be larger.

If you plan on playing a lot of stuff in really low tunings then a 7 string or baritone might be right for you.

Baritones like all 6 strings mean that you'd have to retune a lot. A 7 string is a lot more convenient if you can take the slightly larger neck and the feel of the extra string.

a 7 string baritone is great though because getting good gauges for a 7 string is a PITA
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350