NOW REWORKED

OK I know everyone has seen ten thousand "hey which pickups should I get thread" so I figured Id try to reduce these by froming a list of what pickups are good. I need your help with this for I cant try every pickup. So please just say what a good pickup is for different sounds and a small descriptions of the tone aswell as what guitar and position its in. Be specific.

Humbuckers neck
- Seymour Duncan

- Gibson

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

- EMG
- (85) For in-your-face metal, like Lamb of God, say; they're great.

Humbuckers bridge
- Seymour Duncan

- Gibson

- Dizmazrio
- Super Distorsion is great for hard rock and grunge. Well really any hard stuff. It also sounds nice split as well. It is in the bridge of my fat strat.

- Guitarfetish

Singles tele neck
- Seymour Duncan
- Vintage neck for great blues

- Fender

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

- EMG
- (81) For in-your-face metal, like Lamb of God, say; they're great.

Singles tele bridge
- Seymour Duncan
- Hot bridge for great blues

- Fender

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

Singles strat neck
- Seymour Duncan

- Fender

- Lace censor
- Blue lace sensors (neck and mid in strat).
Once again, bassy, but with 500k (or maybe even 1meg) pots, it sounds awesome and balanced. high output also, so you can do some heavier stuff with it, but not TOO heavy.

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish
- I have GFS' Premium Alnico Strat pickups on my strat, beautiful tone ranging from blues to hard rock if you set them up properly.... I love the neck pickup!

- EMG

- Swineshead
- Spotlight in neck position on a Strat is great for blues of the Strat sort.

- Rock Monkey Guitars
- Smooth Groove for my blues needs in my strat.

Singles strat mid
- Seymour Duncan

- Fender

- Lace censor
- Blue lace sensors (neck and mid in strat).
Once again, bassy, but with 500k (or maybe even 1meg) pots, it sounds awesome and balanced. high output also, so you can do some heavier stuff with it, but not TOO heavy.

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

- EMG
- Rock Monkey Guitars

Singles strat bridge
- Seymour Duncan
- Seymour duncan hotrails, good for metal and heavier rock styles, in the bridge of a strat.
The pickup itself is bassy, but in the bridge it balances out nicely and can really drive an amp.
It'd probably sound ok split also.

- Fender

- Lace censor

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

- EMG

- Rock Monkey Guitars

P-90s
- Seymour Duncan

- Gibson

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

Mini humbuckers
- Seymour Duncan

- Gibson

- Dizmazrio

- Guitarfetish

I know that its primarily blank right now but just give me a hand filling it out and you wont have to answer "select some pickups for me" threads anymore. Thanks for looking.
Last edited by powermetalg at Oct 24, 2007,
i use Rock Monkey Guitars Smooth Groove for my blues needs in my strat.

but i smell this thread phails since pickups shine on different guitars.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i don't think pearly gates or the '59s are warm though... o.O
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Swineshead Spotlight in neck position on a Strat is great for blues of the Strat sort.
Dimarzio Super Distorsion is great for hard rock and grunge. Well really any hard stuff. It also sounds nice split as well.

It is in the bridge of my fat strat.

Seymour Duncan tele pickups are great for blues. I own the hot bridge and vintage neck.

And for metal EMG 81/85 (I hate them)
Quote by kurtlives91
Dimarzio Super Distorsion is great for hard rock and grunge. Well really any hard stuff. It also sounds nice split as well.

It is in the bridge of my fat strat.

Seymour Duncan tele pickups are great for blues. I own the hot bridge and vintage neck.

And for metal EMG 81/85 (I hate them)

Could you tell me why for the EMG's?
I played an ESP Eclipse with EMGs, and it was awesome. I think you'll find two sides of opinion on pickups like them.
Good
Increased output - good for metal.
Long battery life.

Bad
Doesn't capture all the nuances a passive pickup can.
Batteries do run out eventually, and sound quality deteriorates before they do.
Can distort more easily on a clean channel.

For in-your-face metal, like Lamb of God, say; they're great. But of course you need to be using the right guitar, pedals and amp to let them fulfill their potential.
Seymour duncan invader: just plain bad for everything (except maybe metal, but it's not good).

Seymour duncan jazz model excellent for jazz.
Maybe you should merge the blues and rock categories, as if something works good in standard rock, it should be pretty good for blues.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think the pickup list should be seperated into humbuckers and single coils, and then split into manufacturers. It would make it much more readable.
As each pickups is going to respond different to different guitars and different amps, I think this thread is a little pointless. If anything, I agree to the idea of having brands and models separated and then the pro's and con's of each pickup explained.
Your list isn't exactly that good either. I know for example that plenty of people use a Jazz in the neck for metal, and Mark Morton uses twin SD 59's.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by ECistheBest

but i smell this thread phails since pickups shine on different guitars.

my thoughts exactly
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by powermetalg
F**k it... I was trying to help with something everyone is sick of but who cares?

You had the right idea, it just wasn't thought out too well. Didn't 'we' also decide that pickup threads were going in GG&A?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Hard rock, metal Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

Blues, Rock, Gibson 57's, Dirty Fingers and Burstbuckers.

Bareknuckle pickups are alsp great in general. Look at them yourself for specifics.
Quote by powermetalg
F**k it... I was trying to help with something everyone is sick of but who cares?

Yeha this thread is a really good idea it just needs reworking a bit. Keep it alive!!
I have GFS' Premium Alnico Strat pickups on my strat, beautiful tone ranging from blues to hard rock if you set them up properly.... I love the neck pickup!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Could you put the position names and manufacturers in bold, or underline them, please?
rock monkey guitars dude. every position.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Seymour duncan hotrails, good for metal and heavier rock styles, in the bridge of a strat.
The pickup itself is bassy, but in the bridge it balances out nicely and can really drive an amp.
It'd probably sound ok split also.

Blue lace sensors (neck and mid in strat).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
dimarzio chopper bridge own it. good low ends heavy loud crunchy tone. good for any kind of music style. classic rock. metal. and w/e. Also, its really great for shredders.

-Also like the Dimarzio breeds. It gives u that softer attack but still getting that great tone. and its very cheap for a good pickup. don't own them but sounds really good. if u r looking for that steve vai sound. I reccomend this pickup in the bridge and in the neck. with a tonze in the middle. thats my dream pickup setting great... for anyone instested in steve vai or joe satriani sounds.