I have a Kustom Quad 100DFX amp and a Gibson SG Faded with a pair of DiMarzio D-Activators in it. Not the best amp, definetly not the best guitar. I've decided that something that might be able to help the distortion out a little is to just check out some pedals. I really like to be able to play stuff with a Paul Gilbert-esque tone, but also be able to switch over and have my tone in the same ballpark as someone like Steve Vai. I don't want a really heavy, crunchy tone...Think Vai's "Tender Surrender" solo, I guess.

Any help would be appreciated.
a new amp would help more than a pedal

pedals need a good base to start with, they just inhance good tone
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Are you ****ting me... Gibson SG Faded with a pair of DiMarzio D-Activators, your ****ing joking, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
But are you kind of looking for a lead booster?
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
well i know everybody says this but seriously save up the money and change your amp first if you don't like it, then buy a guitar, i'm not sure about how good that amp is but if you don't like it buy something else because you want to be buying an amp that sounds good rather than a crappy amp and another pedal. Trust me.
Quote by ericgentz
Are you ****ting me... Gibson SG Faded with a pair of DiMarzio D-Activators, your ****ing joking, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
But are you kind of looking for a lead booster?

I love how the guitar looks, but I'd much rather be playing a PGM301...Hahaha. Then again, I think everyone would rather be playing one of those.

Oh, and the D-Activators really do kick ass. I bought them both for $170 and they are worth every penny.
Quote by 3nemy
well i know everybody says this but seriously save up the money and change your amp first if you don't like it, then buy a guitar, i'm not sure about how good that amp is but if you don't like it buy something else because you want to be buying an amp that sounds good rather than a crappy amp and another pedal. Trust me.

Here's my problem:

I'm 15 years old, and I have no job. I don't exactly have any way to save up for a $1500-$2000 amp worth keeping. It's just so much easier for me to buy a distortion pedal for like 40 bucks and not have to worry about it anymore. I would love to have a new amp/guitar, but I just don't have the means of getting them.
you can get a damn good tube combo that will do that tone pretty easy for $200

Crate Palomino V8 + Bad Monkey = sects
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Here are some pedals.

Metal Muff (EHX)
Boss OD-3 (Boss) but have it in front of your amps distortion channel as a boost.
Big Muff (EHX)
Boss DS-1 (That's what Vai uses

As for Paul Gilbert, For his tone you would need either a Laney amp or i believe he used to use a ADA MP-1 (which is a tube amp). <--- Very Expensive.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
Here's my problem:

I'm 15 years old, and I have no job. I don't exactly have any way to save up for a $1500-$2000 amp worth keeping. It's just so much easier for me to buy a distortion pedal for like 40 bucks and not have to worry about it anymore. I would love to have a new amp/guitar, but I just don't have the means of getting them.

To be honest you should stop worrying about what you don't have and start being a bit more grateful for what you've got. You have a (good) guitar, you have a decent enough amp...concentrate on learning to play the thing. Some people get by for years with kit that didn't cost a 10th of what you have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your guitar, and those pickups, are very solid things to work with. That amp...eigh, the cleans are nice! You could do exactly what I did with mine, and buy a small all-tube head (or combo!) and wire the Quad as a 2x12" cab.

Short of that...an EXH Metal Muff or a DS-1 would be good, with respects to Donkey Fly for reccomending them.

Edit: Amen, Steven. When I was 15, I had a squier with a missing fret and an SP-10 with a ripped speaker cone.
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest you should stop worrying about what you don't have and start being a bit more grateful for what you've got. You have a (good) guitar, you have a decent enough amp...concentrate on learning to play the thing. Some people get by for years with kit that didn't cost a 10th of what you have.

I feel like a baby who just got his hand slapped for messing around with the cookie jar...

I am very grateful for what I have, but I can't really help but catch myself a better tone than what I have when I can.
Metal Muff, dude. At least try it out with your rig. If you don't like it, there are many other good overdrives/distortion boxes out there.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
I feel like a baby who just got his hand slapped for messing around with the cookie jar...

I am very grateful for what I have, but I can't really help but catch myself a better tone than what I have when I can.

Didn't really mean it to come out that way, but I don't think you realise how good your gear is compared to what most people your age have. Gear is nice, but it doesn't stop you having to work for your tone - if you suck then you'll still suck through the greatest amp in the world.

Maybe get yourself an EQ to tweak the voicing, but if it were me I wouldn't be worrying about gear for a long time...I'd be concentrating on playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com