well i have considered this for some time
i have a ibanez gsr200 i love how it feels and looks but the tone is awesome for the price i paid but i know it can be better with other pickups
so should i change the pickups or save money for a new bass?
BTW the gsr200 is an active bass
and if you think i should change my pickups, wich one should i use if a play rock,mostly punk and pop punk
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Depends if you feel you need to upgrade the whole bass.

If you like the feel or the bass and the tone of the woods etc, just upgrade the pups. Remember that the pickups could be transfered to another bass in the future.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
BTW is it hard to change the pickups or should i pay some luthier to do it?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
It's really easy to change the pickups, but I recommend letting a luthier do it (most do it for free if you order a new pickup at the same store they work in anyway) unless you have some experience with soldering. It's not rocket science, but you might burn yourself =p
so wich pickups do you suggest?
my bass hass a j pickup in near the bridge and a p pickup near the neck
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Sorry mate, I'm a geek when it comes to guitar tone and pickups, but for bass I really can't give a lot of suggestions as I am quite new to it also =p for guitar tho, my personal brand of preference is Seymour Duncan because they make some really unique tonal stuff, I bet they do the same for bass aswell. Take a look at some tone charts, sound samples and that sorta stuff.

I also recommend playing a bass with a specific pickup that your interested in at a guitar store, so you can really hear it in action.
Fralins are awesome, yet pricy (worth it, but not for your range of bass).

Some brands for you to look at are Seymore Duncans, EMG and Bartolinis.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Second the Duncans and Bartolinis. I'm not really an EMG man. I put Bartolinis in my bass, and they sound like sex.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
definately go with EMG's if you're wanting a heavy sound.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
definately go with EMG's if you're wanting a heavy sound.

+1
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
EMGs or Batolinis, i'd go with EMGs myself, but trust me with the GSR 200, its a great starter bass, but thats about it, i wouldn't recommend putting a bunch of money into it because its not a good idea.

sure the new pickups will make it sound great, but then when you realize how much better a slightly better would sound with those pickups you'll feel like a fool for wasting so much money on upgrading a beginner bass

unless its only for sentimental reasons and you already have a new bass, i wouldn't recommend upgrading a starter bass
which p-ups to buy make great conversation, but buying new p-ups for a $200 bass is not a wise decision. i use a GSR200 as a back-up, and it's actually very nice. but i suggest you save your money for the next level of bass. it goes like this, beginner/ intermediate, intermediate/pro, pro/custom. just like amps. i say get a good amp first, then a decent bass. most pro's know, a good bass with a good amp, sounds better than $1000 worth of effects pedals.
spending money on a beginner bass, delays the next step. if your a serious player, the next step should always be your 1st priority.