Hey, everybody.

I'm confused about the chord progression in David Bowie's "China Girl." To be specific, the verses. For the most part it's pretty simple:

G/B, Am7/C, G/B, Am7/C, Em/B, G/B, Am/C, B/D#

My question is where does the B/D# come from, since D# isn't in the key. It's not borrowed from one of the G minor scales because they contain Bb, not B natural, and I don't know if borrowing from a mode is a common thing, but none of them have both B natural and D#.

Maybe one of the more unusual modes?
Maybe it's called dissonance, sir.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
Quote by Spaghetti
Maybe it's called dissonance, sir.

Okay . . .that was a touch bit mean. I know that it's tense, I know that it pulls really strongly to the G chord, but I thought there could be a better explanation than "It sounds good." (Or in this case, since it's dissonant, so bad that it's good.)
The B acts as the V of the Em, it's written using the G major/E aeolian/E harmonic minor scales for the chords.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Freeze1186
Hey, everybody.

I'm confused about the chord progression in David Bowie's "China Girl." To be specific, the verses. For the most part it's pretty simple:

G/B, Am7/C, G/B, Am7/C, Em/B, G/B, Am/C, B/D#

My question is where does the B/D# come from, since D# isn't in the key. It's not borrowed from one of the G minor scales because they contain Bb, not B natural, and I don't know if borrowing from a mode is a common thing, but none of them have both B natural and D#.

Maybe one of the more unusual modes?

Borrowed from very usual, E harmonic minor scale.

See the line - G major is a relative to E minor, so:

E minor (aeolian): E F# G A B C D E

E harmonic minor: E F# G A B C D# E

Surprise!

If you are interested, MT FAQ is solution.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.