Im looking for a good practice routine so I can get good. I'm gonna be grounded for the next couple of weeks, and I'd like to have a practice routine anyways. So any suggestions? Like scales and stuff like that? How long should I do each?
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
just play whatever you feel like. try learning songs from different genres. learn some songs with awesome leads, some that focus on power chords, and others that focus more on actual chords.

edit: how long have you been playing?
suggestions are what I kinda wanted.
EDIT: Been playing casually for maybe 5 months? Nothing serious, but I want to get serious now.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

play with it behind your head like Jimi. Only then will you be a God.
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
well for scales all you need to know really are major, minor, blues, and pentatonic.

edit: 5 months, start with pentatonic minor

Em pentatonic:

e-12-----15
B-12-----15
G-12---14
D-12---14
A-12---14
E-12-----15
Quote by chillininfl
play with it behind your head like Jimi. Only then will you be a God.

He speaks the truth.
"It's funny how most people love the dead. Once you're dead, you're made for life" - Jimi Hendrix

Quote by TheClincher
Is it incest if I had sex with my brother in law's half sister? Because if it is, it was so ****ing worth it.
major and minor of what? Which blues? What pentatonics? I really don't know alot about playing, but alot about gear.

anything else? I would like specifics... maybe a list?

Open chords, couple barre chords, minor and major pentatonic scales 6th string root, maybe a mode or two of the major scale.
how long should I practice those?

Until you can do em fluidly from memory. It'll defenately be enough to keep you busy for a couple weeks
Quote by Pinky19
how long should I practice those?

infinitely.
Last edited by daltonator9690 at Oct 21, 2007,
thanks mate.

anything else? This is my last night....

maybe choose a song a bit beyond your skill level and keep practicing it until you can play it (the whole song). sorta set a long term goal that's what I do with the harder songs I learn. just make sure that the song isn't completely impossible to play so that you won't get too frustrated with it and quit.
I chose Canon Rock, because I can already play the intrro perfectly and everything. Can anyone recomend me some arpeggios?

Quote by Pinky19
I chose Canon Rock, because I can already play the intrro perfectly and everything. Can anyone recomend me some arpeggios?

you've been playing for 5 months and you're learning Canon Rock in it's entirety?
yea.... I know, not smart, but THATS a long term goal. When I finish, I'll fell good.

just a heads up, you'll need to learn your D major scale, how to shred (play fast), and pinch harmonics. that part right after the soft guitar intro still gives me trouble...
I got pinch harmonics for the most part. And DimeSqueals But I'll look up that Major scale, and thanx alot.

Quote by Godsmack_IV
if you don't know your chords yet I suggest you learn them, guitarists who never learn their basic chords piss me off.

+1 those guitarists pissed me off too. this kid i no who played for 2 years couldn't even play a Em chord.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
then can you tell me the basic chords? and recommend me a good song that uses chords that sounds pretty good? I like a good ol' country song here and there.

Also, you'll want to strengthen your fingers. Basically do pulloffs like:

e- 1p0 - 1p0 - 1p0 - 1p0 -

With every finger, for as long as you can take the burn, plus a bit longer. Should help your capacity for speed and strength.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
okay, thanx

learn all the chords from A to G, major and minor. I think we have a place on UG where they're all listed but I can't find it. anyways, a lot of classic rock uses basic chords. you could try some tom petty, BTO, even AC/DC.
G, D, C, A, Am, E, Em, Bm, G7, D7.

Every guitarist should know at least those.
thanx guys